Benvenuto Visitatore ( Log In | Registrati )

4 Pagine V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Wonderful World of Disney: The Little Mermaid Live, Film Tv della ABC
veu
messaggio 15/10/2019, 22:27
Messaggio #49

Gold Member

Gruppo: Moderatore

Poster ufficiale:

User's Signature

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Daydreamer
messaggio 16/10/2019, 19:15
Messaggio #50

Gold Member

Per me è un no, pacchiano.

+Quote Post
Hiroe
messaggio 17/10/2019, 8:34
Messaggio #51

Gold Member

Gruppo: Utente
Da: Pisa

Hai ragione Day, è un po'bruttino e Ariel è presa male... Però va bene dato che è un poster per un prodotto televisivo...

User's Signature

+Quote Post
Fulvio84
messaggio 17/10/2019, 9:05
Messaggio #52

Gold Member

Da: Caserta

Il poster e' decisamente scarso, pare un fanmade veloce.
Lei e' molto bella ma effettivamente la foto non le rende giustizia...poi mi chiedo, sono le angolazioni in cui la riprendono o ultimamente e' ingrassata, perche' mi sembra un po' lievitata...

User's Signature

+Quote Post
Hiroe
messaggio 17/10/2019, 18:03
Messaggio #53

Gold Member

Auli'i credo sia maturata, quando ha doppiato Moana aveva 16 anni..

User's Signature

+Quote Post
veu
messaggio 24/10/2019, 18:29
Messaggio #54

Gold Member

Da EW:

Go under the sea with first look at The Little Mermaid Live! characters
By Sydney Bucksbaum October 22, 2019 at 07:38 PM EDT

Flipping her fins, who knows how far she’ll go? The powerful voice behind takes on a new aquatic heroine for The Wonderful World of Disney presents The Little Mermaid Live! (airing Tuesday, Nov. 5 at 8 p.m.). EW has your exclusive first look at Cravalho as Ariel, as well as all her costars in ABC’s live musical event. Click through the gallery to see all the other actors in character for the first time.

By Sydney Bucksbaum

Auli’i Cravalho as Ariel

Flipping her fins, who knows how far she’ll go? The powerful voice behind Moana takes on a new aquatic heroine for The Wonderful World of Disney presents The Little Mermaid Live! (airing Tuesday, Nov. 5 at 8 p.m.). EW has your exclusive first look at Cravalho as Ariel, as well as all her costars in ABC’s live musical event. Click through the gallery to see all the other actors in character for the first time.

Graham Phillips as Prince Eric
Meet your new Disney Prince! Phillips is best known for playing Julianna Margulies son on The Good Wife, but has also appeared on Riverdale and Atypical. He’s also no stranger to musicals; he appeared on Broadway in 13.

Queen Latifah as Ursula
Poor, unfortunate souls beware, because this Ursula is ready to take over. The Grammy-, Emmy-, and Golden Globe-winning Latifah is heading back to her musical roots with this live-action production, and that hairstyle could not be more perfect.

John Stamos as Chef Louis
Hee-hee-hee, haw-haw-haw! Stamos is reprising his role as Chef Louis after first playing the French, moustachioed cook in the Hollywood Bowl’s production of The Little Mermaid back in 2016.

Shaggy as Sebastian
Orville Richard Burrell CD, a.k.a. reggae musician Shaggy, is bringing major “It Wasn’t Me” vibes to the grouchiest crustacean in Disney history. He’s already rocking the requisite red!

User's Signature

+Quote Post
veu
messaggio 24/10/2019, 18:30
Messaggio #55

Gold Member

Da TeenVogue:

TV
"Little Mermaid Live" Drops First Photos of Auli'i Cravalho as Ariel
We want to be part of her world.

BY KARA NESVIG
OCTOBER 24, 2019
AULI'I CRAVALHO
ANDREW ECCLES
New promo pics for ABC's The Little Mermaid Live! are here, and star Auli'i Cravalho's transformation into the iconic red-haired mermaid Ariel is absolutely perfect. We'd like to be — shall we say — part of this world, immediately.

JustJared Jr. shared a handful of new promo pics for the live special, airing on November 5. While we've already seen Auli'i with Ariel's signature long red waves in a sneak peek when her casting was officially announced earlier this month, we've been waiting for more pics from the special, and these glimpses into rehearsals and recording sessions are adorable.

Auli'i rose to fame on Rise and provided the singing voice for Moana, so we know she's going to do a killer job as Ariel, whose voice is her ticket (and, at times, a major problem) to a whole new world alongside the prince she falls in love with. According to JustJared Jr., The Little Mermaid Live! is actually a "hybrid" version of the Disney classic and the Broadway musical, part animated and part live, so it won't be 100% faithful to the animated movie you grew up watching over and over. And as we previously reported, we still don't know who's playing Ariel's dad, King Triton, or her best friend, the fish Flounder. Hmmmm ...

We've gotten a few glimpses of The Little Mermaid Live! to ramp up excitement for the ABC special. Earlier in October, a special "behind the scenes" teaser showed us how Auli'i will "swim" as Ariel and revealed a few exciting details about the production, including puppets!

The ABC special isn't the only Little Mermaid remake happening; Disney is planning its own live-action version of the 1989 film starring Halle Bailey as Ariel. The Disney version is expected to begin filming next year, though details about it have been sparse.

We're so close to the new Little Mermaid Live!, so we think it's time to pull out that Little Mermaid DVD we've been saving and hit the "play" button to prepare. Anyone up for a singalong?

User's Signature

+Quote Post
veu
messaggio 24/10/2019, 18:32
Messaggio #56

Gold Member

Poster dei personaggi e foto di Auli'i Cravalho e Graham Philips sul set:

User's Signature

+Quote Post
I seguenti utenti hanno apprezzato questo post:
Hiroe
messaggio 25/10/2019, 8:49
Messaggio #57

Gold Member

CITAZIONE (veu @ 24/10/2019, 19:32) *

Ma che bella coppia!!!! unsure.gif clapclap.gif

User's Signature

+Quote Post
Daydreamer
messaggio 2/11/2019, 18:16
Messaggio #58

Gold Member

Da Inside the Magic

Jodi Benson, original voice of Ariel, to appear in ABC’s “The Little Mermaid Live!”

In honor of the 30th anniversary of one of the most beloved and popular Disney animated films ever, ABC and The Wonderful World of Disney will air a spectacular, live musical event showcasing The Little Mermaid.

We already know that the line up includes Moana star Auli’i Cravalho as Ariel, Shaggy as Sebastian, Full House star John Stamos as Chef Louis, Graham Phillps as Prince Eric, and Queen Latifah as Ursula. But now we have even more reason to be excited!

Jodi Benson, who provided the original speaking and singing voice of Ariel, announced on Facebook that she, too, will be involved in the live musical spectacular. Benson said that fans can look forward to her giving a special welcome message during ABC’s The Little Mermaid Live!

Jodi Benson wrote “So blessed to be a part of our celebration on ABC Tuesday night The Little Mermaid Live event for our film’s 30th Anniversary! Tune in and dive “Under The Sea” with me!”

This special tribute to the original animated classic and its timeless music will take viewers on a magical adventure under the sea as live musical performances by a star-studded cast will be interwoven into the broadcast of the original feature film. This never-before-seen hybrid format will feature beautifully intricate sets and costumes, with music from the original animated film and the Tony Award®-winning Broadway stage version, originally composed by eight-time Oscar®-winning composer, Alan Menken. Howard Ashman’s iconic film lyrics will also be showcased, while lyricist for the Broadway adaptation, Glenn Slater, will contribute to the star-studded spectacular.

+Quote Post
veu
messaggio 2/11/2019, 23:36
Messaggio #59

Gold Member

Jodi Benson quindi sarà lei ad aprire il film da quanto sembra.

Da EW:

The Little Mermaid Live! director reveals everything to expect from ABC's musical
By Sydney Bucksbaum November 01, 2019 at 11:30 AM EDT

It’s almost time to dive under the sea with ABC’s The Little Mermaid Live!

The latest live TV musical event arrives Tuesday, just ahead of the Disney movie’s 30th anniversary — The Little Mermaid debuted Nov. 13, 1989 — so what better way to celebrate than with a new interpretation of the classic tale? Starring Disney royalty Auli’i Cravalho (Moana) as Ariel, Graham Phillips (The Good Wife) as Prince Eric, Queen Latifah as Ursula, John Stamos as Chef Louis, and Shaggy as Sebastian, The Little Mermaid Live! isn’t going to be a shot-for-shot retelling of the beloved animated feature. In fact, director and executive producer Hamish Hamilton tells EW that this live TV musical production “is very, very different to any of the musicals that have been done before because essentially it’s 50 percent the original feature and 50 percent live musical performance.”

While Fox and NBC have previously dominated the live TV musical events, ABC is dipping its fins into the water and making a splash with a unique structure for its first foray into the genre. “Obviously all the previous live musicals have all been fully live and the dialogue has been done live with the live cast. We are not doing that,” Hamilton says. “That is the fundamental difference. And obviously we’re underwater and they’re above. Being underwater is kind of difficult! We’re trying to bring something to life underwater and that’s tough. But it’s been marvelous.”

Because The Little Mermaid is such a beloved property, Hamilton — who has directed the Super Bowl halftime show annually since 2010 as well as major awards shows like the Oscars, Olympics opening and closing ceremonies, and more — reveals that everyone from the cast, to the crew, and beyond has been more passionate about bringing this production to life than any other project he’s worked on. And that’s saying something considering how extensive his resume is!

“Everybody on the team has a love for the movie so everybody has worked extra hard on this,” he says. “It’s a once-in-a-lifetime project. It’s something that’s very special in the hearts of many and there’s a huge weight of responsibility that comes with that, as the person directing the live adaptation of it. We’re very conscious of that as we build this.”

Below, Hamilton breaks down everything you can expect from ABC’s The Little Mermaid Live!

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: It sounds like this is going to be very different from what people have seen so far from live TV musicals on Fox and NBC. How did you go about staging The Little Mermaid Live! for TV?
Hamish Hamilton: In its most basic explanation, it’s actually quite simple. We will start the animated feature on a giant screen presented in a room. The television audience is almost at a concert where the star is the movie on a screen. Very quickly we’re going to go full frame into the movie so the audience on television are watching the animated feature as they have done a few times if they’re fans. The point we get to a song, we will transition from the animated feature back into our room where we will reveal our cast performing the songs. At the end of the song, huge applause, and we transition back into full frame animated feature. It’s about 55 percent of what we’re creating is the animated feature and then about 45 percent of what the TV audience will see are live performances.

That sounds like exactly how the Hollywood Bowl put on a production of The Little Mermaid with Sara Bareilles in the past.
I wasn’t going to give you that reference because people reading this, they may not be familiar with the Hollywood Bowl. But that’s absolutely, exactly the principle that we are following. One of the executive producers of our show, and actually one of the two people who birthed this particular interpretation is the producer of those Hollywood Bowl live spectacles. What we’re making is like that, but a more elaborate interpretation with our cast.

Having seen the Hollywood Bowl production myself, it’s a great way to marry the original iconic movie while still doing something new and exciting.
Honestly, hand on heart, I really hope so. We’re doing everything in our power to make the blend beautiful. The Hollywood Bowl clearly demonstrates that it can work and it does work, and we’re taking a stage further. We hope that when we present it, people like yourself — well, actually everybody, but particularly people like yourself who love the movie so much will love our take on it.

But the big question on everyone’s minds when it comes to televised live musical productions is after what happened with Rent: Live where a star got injured during the final rehearsal and they didn’t have understudies, do you have understudies for all the major roles?
We’ve got a plan in place.

Okay, phew. And speaking of that, what lessons have you learned from other live TV musical events that you remembered while bringing this one to life?
There’s a great joy and electricity in live that you can’t replicate in any other kind of form, really. It’s an electricity that infuses everybody on the show and 99 percent of people really rise to the occasion, they know that it’s all or nothing. It’s the big game. Everything is pinned on everybody’s performance — some people have a very large role to play, some people have what may be perceived as a lesser role to play but actually everybody on the production, and this is something that I’ve learned from the Super Bowl, everybody, the whole team, has a really, really important part to play. If one person makes a mistake, it can have huge and profound impact on the entire production. People do make mistakes but the great thing about these live teams is that everybody’s got everybody else’s back. We work together to overcome the problems. The beautiful thing about these shows is that it’s so great for people from all walks of life and backgrounds to come together to create something magical. It fills my heart with joy. We’re definitely being ambitious with this one, trying things, and that’s bold. We really are setting our sights high, basically because we’re inspired by the original movie which was brilliant. They tried new things and they took risks and we are honor bound to do the same.

How do you think your version of The Little Mermaid is going to surprise longtime fans?
What we are not doing is changing the structure or the story or the magic. What we’re doing is we are blending a live perspective and a live energy and a live interpretation to the original feature. I certainly don’t want to shock anybody when they’re watching this piece of art that is so special to them so we’re not taking any liberties. I’m hoping to delight people and to warm people’s hearts. It’s a new way to watch The Little Mermaid — it will never replace the original. We are hopefully adding a slightly new take. It’s a celebration, ultimately. It’s just filled with so much joy and magic and honestly, the world can do with a little bit of that right now.

Let’s talk about casting — did you always know who you wanted for the cast or were there some surprises for you?
The cast are all absolutely perfect. I couldn’t be more thrilled. These were the people we went after. They were all our absolute No. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 choices. For them to be so universally acclaimed by fans of the movie and the general public alike, that was great. That gives all the fans out there an illustration of our take on how we’re going to celebrate the feature. Each one of the artists cast so far have an affinity with the original character. You can imagine each of those people playing the roles and you’re excited by them. We’re not doing any shock-and-awe or radical surprises. Auli’i is just the perfect live Ariel.

How are you making sure to set your production apart from the upcoming live-action movie?
They’re completely different. What they have is a completely blank sheet of paper. What we have is a concept that is almost 50 percent of the original content and 50 percent live in the room, live on television. The parameters that both productions have got are vastly different that both properties will be incredibly different. Boy, am I excited to see what they come up with! And pretty soon they’re going to see what we’ve done.

What has been the biggest challenge for you so far in developing and staging this production?
The biggest challenge actually has been trying to make sense of it all because you’ve got half the original animated feature and half live. What we’ve had to do is make sure that the story of The Little Mermaid is told all the way through our musical performances. That sometimes has its challenges — how do we create performances that are spectacular and joyful and magical but also tell the story? And then also the story takes place underwater. How do you bring some of those characters to life? We’ve got some interesting, interesting solutions to that. I’m really excited. I’ve been very blessed to be involved with all kinds of amazing productions — Super Bowls, awards shows, live concerts — and Little Mermaid is right up there.

The Little Mermaid Live! airs Tuesday, Nov. 5. at 8 p.m. on ABC.

User's Signature

+Quote Post
veu
messaggio 2/11/2019, 23:37
Messaggio #60

Gold Member

Da Star Advertiser:

Auli‘i Cravalho dives into live version of ‘Little Mermaid’

LOS ANGELES >> Auli‘i Cravalho is one of the few actors who can boast that they will have played two different Disney princesses. Her voice work brought the animated character of Moana to life. Now she’s speaking and singing for Ariel in “The Wonderful World of Disney presents The Little Mermaid Live!”

The hybrid production to mark the 30th anniversary of the film will blend live performances with moments from the animated film. Joining Cravalho, a Kamehameha graduate, in the cast for the broadcast Tuesday on ABC are Queen Latifah as Ursula, Shaggy as Sebastian and Graham Phillips as Prince Eric.

Sets are being constructed on the Disney lot, where performers will sing before a studio audience. What they and the home audience will see are moments of the animated film that will give way to certain scenes being performed by the actors. After the scene, the animated film will pick up and continue until the next live action scene.

“Moana,” Cravalho’s first professional acting job, had the 18-year-old from Hawaii doing standard voice recording work. It’s a whole new world with Ariel, both because the production will be performed live and because Cravalho is such a huge fan of Jodi Benson, Ariel’s original voice. She has gotten to know Benson and says the veteran actor has become almost like an older sister to her.

“Luckily, I get to bring my own feelings to the character,” Cravalho says. “When it comes to Jodi, she has that beautiful classic sound, whereas the songs I sang in ‘Moana’ had a pretty strong belt to them. I am working with Alan Menken on it and I think we are going to find something in between.

“I think there is just so much room to play with that while, of course, still paying homage to the original character. That’s me anyway. And, of course, there’s so many beautiful set designs and so much of, really, a visual buffet that I am part of this, but there’s also just so much more that I know people will enjoy that I won’t have to worry too much about what I bring to the character because I bring myself, and I feel like that’s enough.”

The live production is a new experience for Cravalho. Because she landed the role in “Moana” at such a young age, she didn’t have many opportunities to do live productions in school. Since “Moana,” Cravalho starred in the short-lived NBC musical drama “Rise,” her first on-screen job.

There has been little time for Cravalho to get nervous, as rehearsals for “The Little Mermaid Live!” started only weeks before the telecast. As for the advice Benson gave Cravalho in regards to doing a live version of the animated film classic, all she said was “Buckle up, buttercup.”

The creative team has faith in Cravalho. Executive producer Hamish Hamilton is certain a lot of young women dream of playing the role, but they knew they had the right person when Cravalho walked into the room bringing “joy and wonder.”

Going from Moana to Ariel feels like a natural transition for her.

“I grew up maybe about 20 minutes from the beach, so I would say I was pretty water active as a kid, I’m very, very grateful to be able to play Ariel from beyond the reef to under the sea, I suppose, and yes, I’m boy, oh, boy, I feel there are so many, I feel like, similarities that I can relate to as far as curiosity and wondering what’s just beyond my reach, you know? So I’m very grateful again,” Cravalho says. “The song I relate to the most in ‘Little Mermaid’ is ‘Part of Your World.’

“I can relate to what she is singing because I grew up on a very small island and never thought I was going to get very much of anything. And, my life has truly changed but it means standing up for yourself.”

The one thing she doesn’t agree with when it comes to Ariel is the pact she makes with Ursula to trade her voice for the legs needed to be part of the dry land world. Cravalho says in no uncertain terms there is nothing in the world she would trade her voice to get.

There could come a time when a similar production of “Moana” would lead to another actor singing the lead role. Cravalho would find that a joyous situation.

“I think it is fantastic when we have new renditions,” Cravalho says. “I think every Disney film is reflective of their time but almost always we can pull different morals and ideas and bring them into the future. I can’t wait to see the next Polynesian girl play Moana.”

Auli’i Cravalho and Graham Phillips star in “The Little Mermaid.”

User's Signature

+Quote Post
veu
messaggio 2/11/2019, 23:39
Messaggio #61

Gold Member

Da Channel Guide Magazine:

The Wonderful World Of Disney Presents The Little Mermaid Live!
A Hybrid Live Event Celebrates 30 Years Of A Classic Tale.
November 1, 2019 Jeff Pfeiffer

Ariel, the title character of Disney’s classic animated film The Little Mermaid, famously sings about wanting to become “Part of Your World” in relation to the prince she loves and the surface-dwelling existence she thinks is preferable to her life undersea. While Ariel’s efforts to achieve that new life for herself lead to conflict and drama, the masterfully produced movie didn’t have much difficulty instantly becoming a lasting part of our world after it hit theaters 30 years ago, in November 1989. Thanks in large part to infectiously catchy Alan Menken/Howard Ashman tunes like “Under the Sea” and “Kiss the Girl,” the film kicked off the Disney Renaissance in traditional animation.

The beloved tale will be retold in Disney’s upcoming Little Mermaid CGI/live-action feature-film remake, but this month’s ABC live musical special The Little Mermaid Live! — airing as a tribute to the original film’s 30th anniversary — is unrelated to that. In fact, after listening to the production’s director and executive producer Hamish Hamilton explain it at a press conference, it seems The Little Mermaid Live! isn’t quite like anything that has been attempted on live television before.

Having directed every Super Bowl halftime show since 2010, Hamilton is no stranger to producing live events on a huge stage, but even with that technical experience he seems to have found a fascinating new challenge with this production.

“It’s an interesting hybrid,” Hamilton said. “It’s a celebration. We’re celebrating this incredible animated feature, and we’re going to do it on the Disney lot … live-to-air in front of a live audience.

“We will have a giant projection surface, and on that projection surface we will play the [original] feature. When we get to one of Alan and Howard’s wonderful songs, essentially we will transition beautifully and smoothly into a world of live performance.”

Whether Hamilton is successful in the technical aspects of bringing to life an underwater world live onstage during these musical numbers will remain to be seen. One thing we do know already, though, is that the production’s star-studded cast will certainly do justice to the legendary songs.

Auli’i Cravalho, who had a breakout role voicing the main character in Disney’s Moana, headlines the special as Ariel. Reggae/rap star Shaggy, with not only his singing talent but also his Jamaican background, is a fitting choice to bring Caribbean flair to the voice of Sebastian the crab. And we are absolutely looking forward to Queen Latifah, who plays sea witch Ursula, belting out that villain’s show-stopping number “Poor Unfortunate Souls.”

“I’m excited about the whole thing,” Shaggy said. “I have three daughters, and I had to sit down and watch this movie, the original movie, over and over and over and over and over again. And I feel like Sebastian is me because after a while, you are watching it and your girls are there, and because they are reciting every line to it, you’ve got to join in at some point because that’s the only way you’re getting points as a dad.”

Turns out, this isn’t Shaggy’s first encounter with performing a classic Little Mermaid song, either.

“Years ago [in 1996], actually, I recorded ‘Under the Sea,’” he explained, “and I kind of did, like, almost a rap version. It’s funny how things come full circle, that now I’ve been granted this amazing opportunity, and I think even for the whole Caribbean, just having this Caribbean feel and this Caribbean rep over here. Doing it is pretty exciting, and I’ve just got to embody it.”

Cravalho expressed similar excitement about embodying a classic character, coming across with the same confidence as the Little Mermaid herself despite the uncertainties of a live performance coupled with the expectations some fans might have for Ariel.

“I had the absolute honor of meeting Jodi Benson [the voice of Ariel in the 1989 feature],” Cravalho offered, “who brought this wonderful character to life. … I think that I share the curiosity, and I share the joy that Ariel has. And I think there is just so much room to play with that while, of course, still paying homage to the original character.

“I won’t have to worry too, too much about what I bring to the character because I bring myself, and I feel like that’s enough.”

The Wonderful World Of Disney Presents The Little Mermaid Live!
ABC
Tuesday, Nov. 5, 7pm

User's Signature

+Quote Post
veu
messaggio 2/11/2019, 23:41
Messaggio #62

Gold Member

Da EOnline:

EXCLUSIVE!
See Auli'i Cravalho Nail Her First The Little Mermaid Live Recording Session
by CHRIS HARNICK | Thu., Oct. 24, 2019 4:30 PM

Auli'i Cravalho is going from one beloved Disney character (Moana) on the big screen to another on the small screen as Ariel in The Wonderful World of Disney Presents The Little Mermaid Live and she couldn't be more excited.

In the above exclusive sneak peek, Cravalho takes viewers behind the scenes of her first recording session for "Part of Your World" with Alan Menken, the Oscar winning composer from the fan-favorite animated Disney film.

"Recording music for this live event has been kind of awe-inspiring," Cravalho says in the sneak peek.

"The first song that I sang was ‘Part of Your World' and my first take went really, really well. I was like, ‘Oh, this feels really good,'" she says. What did Menken think of it? Click play on the video above to see.

The Little Mermaid Live is part animated film, part animated spectacle and "100 percent Disney magic," Cravalho describes. ABC will broadcast the animated movie and break from the cartoon to the performers, including Cravalho, Graham Phillips and Queen Latifah, on stage singing. Elements from the Broadway play, including puppetry, will be part of the live event.

Video:

Click

User's Signature

+Quote Post
veu
messaggio 2/11/2019, 23:42
Messaggio #63

Gold Member

Da ABCNews:

Queen Latifah on becoming Ursula for 'The Little Mermaid Live!'
By ANGELINE JANE BERNABEandKIERAN MCGIRLviaGMA Oct 29, 2019, 8:25 AM ET

Queen Latifah is ultimate Hollywood royalty.

From releasing her debut hip hop album, “All Hail the Queen” nearly 30 years ago, to starring in blockbuster hits alongside other talented stars in films like “Chicago” and “Hairspray,” Queen Latifah has seemingly done it all.

Now she’s embarking on a new project as Ursula in ABC’s live presentation of “The Little Mermaid.”

PHOTO: Queen Latifah applauds during ceremonies at Harvard University awarding the W.E.B. Dubois Medals for contributions to black history and culture, Oct. 22, 2019, in Cambridge, Mass. Elise Amendola/AP
Queen Latifah applauds during ceremonies at Harvard University awarding the W.E.B. Dubois Medals for contributions to black history and culture, Oct. 22, 2019, in Cambridge, Mass.more +
(MORE: 'The Little Mermaid Live!' to air on ABC with Auli'i Cravalho, Queen Latifah and Shaggy)
More from

What to know on 'Little Mermaid Live'

'The Little Mermaid Live!' to star Auli'i Cravalho

“I had done a photoshoot for Disney a few years back where Annie Leibowitz shot me as Ursula,” Queen Latifah told “GMA” in an exclusive interview. “So when this popped up, it was like, OK, a TV production. Alright … Once they explained to me the way that they wanted to do it, I thought it was interesting.”

Earlier this year, Disney announced a star-studded cast would lead their first-ever television musical production in “The Wonderful World of Disney presents The Little Mermaid Live!” in honor of the film’s 30th anniversary.

Queen Latifah stars alongside actress Auli’i Cravalho who will play Ariel and reggae singer Shaggy who will play Ariel’s friend, Sebastian.

“The Little Mermaid Live!” will be different from other live television performances because it will be a hybrid production where performances of the songs by the actors will be shown with clips from the animated film and puppets.

“They’re going to literally show the movie in front of a live audience of at least 500 people. And then when it comes to musical performances, it’s going to cut to the live performance of those songs and then it’ll go back into the movie and the audience will take part in it and be participants in the actual performance of it,” Latifah said. “They’ll be under the sea with us.”

Latifah, who has never been a part of a production like this before, told “GMA” how she’s preparing for Ursula’s big number from the film, “Poor Unfortunate Souls.”

“It’s a serious song,” she said. “When I listen to it, you know - you think you know every Disney movie to watch it again and or you think you know a song until you actually have to sing it and you’re like, oh my god.”

The song, which comes up in the film when Ursula tries to convince Ariel into trading her voice for the chance to become human temporarily, was performed by voice actress and singer, Pat Carroll, in the film’s 1989 version.

Latifah commented on Carroll’s iconic version and said, “This person went every possible direction that you could go with a song. I mean, the diction, you know, the notes that she hit, just being a bad villain … So I got my hands full.”

(MORE: Freeform responds to Halle Bailey's 'The Little Mermaid' casting backlash)
Since signing on to the role, Latifah has been working tirelessly to get the part right but is taking it all in stride, making sure to enjoy the process.

“You know, you got one shot at this thing. You got to make it right. You know you cannot blow it,” she said. “But you prepare. You practice, practice, practice. Lots of rehearsal. And then you - just like for me, I just let it go.”

Despite the challenges of the new role, Latifah is excited about the production and the costume she’ll be wearing. She said, “It’s going to be a blast to play this character with this hair. Black purple, sort of. Skin dress. I don’t even know what to call it with my tentacles and all this … I think it’s going to be amazing.”

“The Wonderful World of Disney presents The Little Mermaid Live!” will air at 9 p.m. ET on Tuesday, Nov. 5, live on ABC.

Disney is the parent company of ABC News and "Good Morning America."

Video:

Click

User's Signature

+Quote Post
veu
messaggio 4/11/2019, 17:12
Messaggio #64

Gold Member

Da D23:

Graham Phillips Makes a Splash in The Little Mermaid Live!
OCTOBER 31, 2019
By D23 Team

Next week, The Wonderful World of Disney presents The Little Mermaid Live! will take us to the magical fathoms below with a new tail, weaving the original film with live musical performances by a star-studded cast of comprised of Auli’i Cravalho as Ariel; Queen Latifah as the menacing sea witch Ursula; John Stamos as an eccentric French cook, Chef Louis; Shaggy as Sebastian; Graham Phillips as Prince Eric and Amber Riley as the emcee, presenting the Daughters of Triton with a special performance for King Triton and his subjects.

D23 recently sat down with Phillips to talk all things The Little Mermaid Live! before the premiere of the ABC live production on November 5.

D23: How does it feel to be cast as Prince Eric in The Little Mermaid Live!
Graham Phillips (GP): Well, it’s been about 15 years since I was cast as a prince [in The Little Prince], so it’s exciting for me to go back to my roots. The Little Mermaid was the first Disney film I remember watching. I was about 5 years old, and I have a really distinct recollection of watching that film with my family, so it was kind of surreal to even just audition for that role. Because at that age you don’t think they’re just characters, you see them as real people. So to breathe life back into that character—that I loved at an early age—was pretty awesome.

D23: How have you prepared to be Prince Eric?
GP: The preparation has been quite rigorous. I’ve been swimming a lot and am basically trying to get in touch with my aquatic self. Prince Eric is obsessed with the water, and I think that’s pretty telling. He’s on a search for the unknown. He’s looking for adventure and something new. He’s happy to be free from the castle walls. I grew up in Laguna Beach so I’ve always been around the ocean, but I figured why not take some sailing lessons? I’ve always wanted to do that. But also, most of this role is vocal because we’re not just doing the scenes—we’re also doing the songs, so the singing is very important. I read the original Hans Christian Andersen story and that gave a little more insight to the prince, but honestly there’s so much in the lyrics that were written, too. Just listening to Howard Ashman’s lyrics tells you everything you need to know about what’s rattling around the prince’s head with his memory of Ariel and his search to be reunited with her. There’s a lot more material in the songs that we’re going to be performing than maybe there is in the original film. In the original, there’s not too much to [help] deduce what’s going on in Prince Eric’s head, so I’m really thankful that we’re getting to also do the songs that were written after the fact, because they shed more light on Prince Eric.

D23: With this unique experience using both screens and stage, how are all of you preparing for the live musical performances?
GP: What’s interesting is that there are certain transitions where we really have to match our body language to the frames of the film that we’re using from the original film. For instance, there’s one moment where we transition from Prince Eric and Max on the beach, when he’s playing his flute and saying something along the lines of ‘her voice, I just can’t get it out of my mind’ and that’s what we’ve taken as the cue to insert a song that wasn’t in the original film, “Her Voice [from the Broadway musical].” We’re matching that little tableau with him and Max. But really, it’s just the same preparation for anything that’s live—making sure you know it backwards and forwards.

D23: Who is your favorite character from The Little Mermaid?
GP: My favorite character has got to be Ursula. Although it does shift from day to day, but today it’s Ursula. I think she’s one of the best Disney villains that there are, and I just love her powerful, sultry, conniving manner, and Queen Latifah is nailing that.

D23: Speaking of your other cast members, who are you most excited to be working with?
GP: Obviously, most of my interactions are with Ariel, so getting to work with Auli’i has been a delight. She’s incredible. She’s got this amazing voice and brings so much of her emotion to that voice. She’s such a giving actress. We’re doing “Kiss the Girl,” which is a big number for Sebastian, but for us, we’re just sitting in a boat for two minutes looking at each other. I’m sure you can imagine how that can be either awkward or boring or any combination, but with her, it’s dynamic and interesting. It has an arc, which is something I was initially a little worried about, but not now.

D23: She’s now a two-time Disney princess, so she has some experience.
GP: Yeah! I have some big shoes to fill.

D23: Is there something you’re most excited for audiences to see in The Little Mermaid Live!
GP: For anyone who has fallen in love with the film but hasn’t seen the Broadway musical, there are a few songs that I think they’re really going to like. Perhaps I’m biased, but I love “Her Voice.” I think that song is such an interesting part of the story. It’s the other side of the coin, in the sense that you hear a lot about what Ariel is going through, but you don’t really explore what Prince Eric is going through. Getting a sense for what he feels about Ariel, I think, makes the romance more powerful and the magnetism between the two characters more powerful. I think it helps the story out, so I think that’s something people will really enjoy.

D23: Would you say that’s your favorite song from The Little Mermaid Live! ?
GP: It’s definitely my favorite new song, but I mean, “Part of Your World” has got to be my favorite song. It’s so iconic. And it resonates with me in a way that I’m sure resonates with a lot of people because there will be these moments where you think you’ve got it all figured out, yet you still feel like there’s something that you’re missing. Just getting in touch with the idea that the things that you need the most are the things you can’t necessarily see is a really powerful message. I mentioned playing a prince before; that was when I was 12 years old and played the Little Prince. That book by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry has a saying, “anything essential is invisible to the eye,” and I think “Part of Your World” encapsulates the yearning for that essence.

User's Signature

+Quote Post
veu
messaggio 4/11/2019, 17:17
Messaggio #65

Gold Member

Due video:

* Uno su Amber Riley e uno dietro le quinte con Graham Philips, il Principe Eric.

The Little Mermaid Live! Sneak Peek at Amber Riley's New Character

Amber Riley takes us behind the scenes of her The Little Mermaid Live! character, the emcee, as she sings a song to present King Triton's daughters, including Ariel. The Little Mermaid Live! airs Nov.5 on ABC.

Click

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Touring The Little Mermaid Live Set with Graham Phillips! | Disney Princess

Nathalia and Sage from the Disney Princess Club go behind the scenes of the Wonderful World of Disney Presents: The Little Mermaid Live! with an exclusive set tour from Graham Phillips!

Click

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* Intervista a Graham Philips che interpreta il principe Eric da D23:

D23 Inside Disney Episode 10 | Prince Eric speaks out—and sings!—about The Little Mermaid Live!

Podcast

User's Signature

+Quote Post
veu
messaggio 4/11/2019, 17:34
Messaggio #66

Gold Member

Da The Mercury News:

Television this 7 days: Disney’s ‘Little Mermaid Reside!’ provides Ariel to everyday living
By Eric Kirk -November 3, 2019

Really do not Pass up: “The Wonderful Environment of Disney Offers: The Minor Mermaid Live! “: This must be attention-grabbing. Producers hope viewers are all set to go less than the sea by using a magical journey that brings together footage from the 1989 animated basic with live performances from the film and Broadway musical. Carried out in entrance of a are living studio viewers, this hybrid production functions Auli’i Cravalho (“Moana”) as lovestruck mermaid Ariel, Queen Latifah as Ursula and reggae musician Shaggy as Sebastian the crab. Will you want to be section of their planet? (eight p.m. Tuesday, ABC).

User's Signature

+Quote Post
veu
messaggio 4/11/2019, 17:46
Messaggio #67

Gold Member

Da The Oprah Magazine:

How to Watch ABC's the Little Mermaid Live! With or Without Cable
With Auliʻi Cravalho, Queen Latifah, and John Stamos, this is a must-see.

By Kimberly Zapata
Nov 4, 2019
imageDISNEY
ABC has been working on a live remake of The Little Mermaid since September, and the made-for-TV event is slated to air early next week. No, this isn't the same movie as Disney's upcoming live-action remake.
Here's everything we know about The Little Mermaid Live!, including when and how to watch.
The Wonderful World of Disney is about make your week a little more magical and (yes) wonderful. The Little Mermaid Live! will air on Tuesday, November 5, and the star-studded event—starring Auliʻi Cravalho, Shaggy, and Queen Latifah, and John Stamos, to name a few—promises to "take viewers on a magical adventure under the sea." But how can you watch this musical masterpiece? The good news is you don't need cable.

What channel will The Little Mermaid Live! be on?
The live version of the 1989 Disney film by the same name will be broadcast on ABC. According to the network, The Little Mermaid Live! will be performed in front of a live studio audience, and it will be unlike anything we've seen before. "Live musical performances will be interwoven into the broadcast of the original feature film," ABC explains, creating a truly special and unique experience.

When will the musical event begin?
The Little Mermaid Live! will air at 8:00 p.m. ET on Tuesday, November 5.

How can I watch The Little Mermaid Live! if I do not have a TV?
In addition to airing on ABC, viewers can watch The Little Mermaid Live! a few different ways. The event can be viewed on ABC.com or through the ABC app on your smartphone or tablet (iOS and Android). It can be accessed via the ABC channel on select streaming services, including Roku, AppleTV and Amazon Fire TV. However, in order to use said channels, you will need a cable provider. The fix? Try services like Hulu + Live TV or YouTube TV, which offer free 7-day trials.

ABC can also be accessed with a digital antenna.

Who's in the cast?

Prepare to fall in love with this grouping. The Little Mermaid Live! stars Auliʻi Cravalho as Ariel, Shaggy as Sebastian, Queen Latifah as Ursula, John Stamos as Chef Louis, Graham Phillips as Prince Eric.

During an interview with ABC, Latifah admitted that her go-to Little Mermaid song to sing in the shower or in the car is "Under the Sea," while Cravalho agreed.

Nuove foto qui:

Foto 1

Foto 2

Foto 3

Nuovi video:

Video 1

Video 2

Video 3

Video 4

Video 5

Video 6

Video 7

Video 8

Video 9

Video 10

Video 11

Video 12

User's Signature

+Quote Post
veu
messaggio 4/11/2019, 22:37
Messaggio #68

Gold Member

Da Playbill:

Graham Phillips on Becoming Prince Eric in The Little Mermaid Live!
BY EMILY SELLECK
NOV 04, 2019

The Riverdale and stage alum tells Playbill he's hoping for a Broadway return following the live TV event, airing November 5.

Small screen star Graham Phillips, who in 2008 made his Broadway debut in 13, returns to his musical roots to play Prince Eric in ABC's The Little Mermaid Live!, airing November 5.

Since the Jason Robert Brown musical, he has made a name for himself with roles on such shows as The Good Wife and Riverdale. “My first love was theatre," he tells Playbill. “So I've always felt more comfortable on stage than I have in front of the camera.

“Even though Little Mermaid is in front of a camera, it’s live, so there's no room for pussyfooting around. You really have to commit.”

The Disney presentation, which weaves together live performances from a specially designed concert stage with clips from the original movie, will feature songs from the original 1992 film score and the Broadway adaptation, which played two blocks away from 13.

And unlike the original animated movie, Prince Eric sings in this version. “In the film he’s such a blank slate; he doesn’t even sing. Getting to learn these new songs and understand his perspective a little more was very cool,” Phillips says.

Following his seaside adventure, the actor hopes to return to familiar stomping grounds: “For quite a while I've felt like something was missing, and I've realized that it's singing, so my sights are definitely set on getting back on Broadway. I've been missing it for a long time.”

User's Signature

+Quote Post
veu
messaggio 4/11/2019, 22:39
Messaggio #69

Gold Member

Da EW:

Why Graham Phillips' Prince Eric in The Little Mermaid Live! is more swoon-worthy than ever

By Sydney Bucksbaum November 04, 2019 at 09:00 AM EST

When it comes to Disney princes, The Little Mermaid‘s Prince Eric is as close to perfection as it gets. He’s gorgeous. He’s kind. He loves dogs. What more could you possibly want in an animated dreamboat? But Graham Phillips is about to do the impossible and make Prince Eric even more swoon-worthy in ABC’s The Little Mermaid Live!

The actor stars opposite Auli’i Cravalho for the latest live TV musical event as a new version of Prince Eric and Ariel ready to steal your heart. It’s no small feat bringing one of the most iconic Disney roles to life on the biggest stage yet as viewers all over the country tune in to watch and judge the live performances. But right now, Phillips is more worried about how the smoke from the Los Angeles fires is going to affect his voice rather than any normal pre-show jitters.

“I am in the fiery, dry, ashy, smoky city of Los Angeles right now—- it’s perfect right before you have a live singing performance,” Phillips tells EW with a laugh. “It’s funny, I’m like driving around with this humidification mask on just to try to keep from sounding like a 30-year smoker — anything I can do. It is live so you never know what’s going to happen the day before so you just try to be as strong as you can until then.”

But despite freak environmental factors doing everything possible to throw Phillips off in the days before he performs live on TV, he’s actually not feeling nervous at all. “Live performance and theater really is where I started out,” he says. “It’s where my roots are. I’ve always been more nervous in front of a camera when I have a whole lot of takes for some reason rather than when I get on the stage and have only one go at it.”

The actor, best known for roles on The Good Wife and Riverdale, previously starred in Broadway’s 13, so he’s no stranger to the stage. “There’s no room for a lack of commitment when you’re doing something live; there’s no room for playing it safe,” Phillips notes. “This is it. This is the only take you’ve got. There’s certainly no hiding when you’re doing something live. Thankfully for my first entrance [in The Little Mermaid Live!], I get pulled onstage by a rope that’s attached to a bizarre gimbal system so there’s not really much room for me to doubt whether or not I’m going to walk out into the spotlight; I literally get yanked into it!”

ABC’s adaptation of The Little Mermaid is going to be different than all the other live TV musical events that have come before in that it’s actually only half live (guess The Little Mermaid Half Live! didn’t sound as appealing for the title). All the songs will be performed by the live cast including Cravalho, Phillips, Queen Latifah, John Stamos, and Shaggy. But all the spoken scenes are going to be taken right from the original animated feature, airing as is. “It’s a new heightened way that’s a celebration of the original but then the plot and all the scenes are carried forward by the original movie,” Phillips explains. “Instead of competing with the nostalgia everyone has for the iconic film, we’re just using it. I was relieved to hear that because it would be a difficult challenge to try to compete with it. If you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em.”

So if The Little Mermaid Live! is using the original movie for half of the production, how is Phillips going to make Prince Eric even dreamier during the songs? Well, by actually participating in the songs, for one.

“You don’t get to see so much of his perspective in the original film — it’s very much Ariel’s story, as it should be, but he doesn’t sing throughout the whole movie,” Phillips says. “What’s nice is Alan Menken got to expand on that in the Broadway musical and some of his adaptations for this particular performance and so you finally get some of that perspective.”

While Phillips promises that his Prince Eric is “certainly drawing from the original,” his performance has “so much more material” to draw on. “There’s a whole song, ‘Her Voice,’ where you finally get to hear why he’s obsessed with Ariel and what it feels like for him to not have love at first sight but to have love at first sound,” he says. “That is a super unique phenomenon that you brush over in the movie. You get a sense of how much her essence is bound with his soul with that song.”

Another way the classic love story gets expanded in ABC’s live musical is by helping fans understand more about how Prince Eric and Ariel are struggling with the same issues at the beginning of the tale.

“The first song, ‘Fathoms Below,’ you really get to explore how Prince Eric feels finally breaking out of the castle walls and all of his royal responsibilities,” Phillips says. “He finally feels free out on the ocean exploring uncharted waters. I love that because when I heard that song for the first time, I realized that he was going through the same thing that Ariel is. She’s stuck in a royal castle of her own, confined by royal protocol, dreaming about a life elsewhere, exploring the land up above. Meanwhile, Prince Eric is right above her on a ship exploring life on the sea.”

Phillips ended up gaining a deeper appreciation for how Prince Eric and Ariel fall in love thanks to The Little Mermaid Live! “It’s interesting that the story starts at a place where they’re ready to explore the unknown and the other and they find love in the other,” he adds. “It’s such a cool message for right now in particular, where there’s a lot of vilification of the other.”

And that strikes a chord with Phillips, who crafted his directorial debut film around that same issue. Along with his older brother Parker Phillips, the actor co-wrote, directed, and stars in the modern Western The Bygone as Kip Summer, a cowboy in North Dakota who meets a Native American woman right before she gets thrown into the underground world of trafficking.

“What I studied in college is U.S. history but I focused on Native American studies for my thesis, which focused on indigenous resistance to colonialism, specifically related to violence against Native women and the origins of that and how Native women have rallied across the centuries to combat it, even today with current legislative efforts going on,” Phillips says. “It’s something I had zero knowledge of and I was blown away by how pervasive it was. It was an issue I felt pretty strongly about — it really spoke to me.”

During his time writing his thesis, Phillips became inspired to write the script for The Bygone (out Nov. 12 on VOD). “One of the strongest microcosms that shows how these battles are still going on is in the North Dakota oil boom that happened recently because of fracking. With that oil boom came an influx of all-male workers to this one area where there wasn’t a lot of law enforcement and created a market for trafficking,” he says. “In those areas, the most vulnerable populations were once again Native women. They’re the most marginalized subdivision in the U.S. It reminded me of what I learned went down in the Gold Rush, so I thought, ‘Wow, how far have we really come as a country if we’re still going through the same patterns?'”

Because Phillips and his brother wanted to “do a modern-day Western that is relevant” for their first feature together, it was a no-brainer for him to use everything he had learned while writing his thesis to create a narrative about which he cared deeply. “We’re turning some Western stereotypes on their head,” Phillips says. “Predominantly instead of having a damsel in distress we wanted to have a powerful female Native heroine and went from there.”

And since Phillips knew that “there are very few people who know a lot about this issue,” he wanted to raise up as many voices as he could.

“When you find someone who does know about this, particularly in Indian country or somewhere in the Native community, they’re super passionate about it and a lot of them dedicate their lives to it and to combat it,” he says. “I met a lot of cool people doing this and one of them ended up in the film — Irene Bedard. She’s most well-known for voicing Pocahontas and she testified in front of congress about these issues. She’s been personally touched by this issue of violence targeting Native women. It was therapeutic for her to help tell a story that nobody really hears outside of Indian country.”

But before Phillips releases The Bygone, he’s going to have to face his toughest critic yet. “I have an 8-year-old niece Stella and she basically told me that if I messed up Prince Eric, she’d kill me,” he says with a laugh. “So I’m definitely far more nervous about what Stella thinks about my performance than I am about anyone or anything else. She’s going to be in the audience — she will be there with my mom. We’ll see how it goes and we’ll see how she likes it.”

The Little Mermaid Live! airs Tuesday, Nov. 5 at 8 p.m. ET/PT on ABC

User's Signature

+Quote Post
veu
messaggio 5/11/2019, 21:38
Messaggio #70

Gold Member

In un'intervista Graham Philips ha rivelato che nella Sirenetta Live il ruolo di Eric è ampliato e che la storia d'amore tra Eric e Ariel ricorda quella tra Romeo e Giulietta.

Da PasteMagazine:

Graham Phillips on The Little Mermaid Live! and Why Princes Are People Too
By Amy Amatangelo | November 5, 2019 | 2:15pm

Graham Phillips on <i>The Little Mermaid Live!</i> and Why Princes Are People Too
Tonight ABC takes viewers under the sea to make us part of the Little Mermaid’s world.
Graham Phillips takes over the iconic role of Prince Eric, a royal who hears Ariel’s (Auli’i Cravalho) voice and falls in love. Phillips is most familiar to viewers for the years he spent playing Alicia Florrick’s son Zach on The Good Wife. But his roots are in musical theater and before starring on the CBS drama, he played The Little Prince at the New York City Opera and the lead in the original Broadway production of 13.

Paste had the chance to talk to Phillips about singing live, how not to be nervous, and if viewers will get the chance to see Zach Florrick again.

Paste: Let’s start with the most basic question. How did you end up playing Prince Eric in Little Mermaid Live?

Graham Phillips: I knew there was a lot activity going on with Little Mermaid. I thought, “You know what? Why don’t I just start working on the music?” I’m always looking for new stuff to just work on to keep me sane because I don’t normally get to do that much singing and it’s my first artistic love. I had never seen the Broadway musical but I knew [composer] Alan Menken had written a new song for Prince Eric. I auditioned with an audition tape and they called me and it was actually pretty simple. They pretty much gave me the role in the room which was pretty awesome and had never happened to me before.

Paste: Tell me about the song “Her Voice” which is Prince Eric’s big number.

Phillips: The first time I heard the song Alan Menken had written for Prince Eric I was totally stunned by it. In my opinion it’s such a crucial part of the story. Obviously it’s the mermaid’s story 100% but Prince Eric is going through a very similar thing. As strange as it is for a mermaid to fall in love with a person, it’s just as odd for a person to fall in love with a mermaid. It’s very Romeo and Juliet so it’s kind of neat to finally hear Romeo’s perspective if you will.

Paste: You’ve done a lot of television and your roots are on Broadway. What’s it been like merging these two things?

Phillips: It’s definitely a unique preparation process. I’ve obviously done a lot of television work and a lot of theater work but when you blend them together it sort of becomes a different beast. We do have a live audience and thank God for them because having an audience in the room there’s just something electric that happens when you have all those people and it helps to raise your energy to meet them. That makes it all very exciting.

On the other hand you are hitting certain positions and tableaus which you know will work for the camera but isn’t necessarily the best position for the audience. I think the biggest difference you have to strike this delicate balance of what works for the audience in the room and what works for the cameras that are broadcasting in everyone’s living rooms.

Paste: Disney has really started to evolve and modernize their “princess canon” if you will. How will your Prince Eric be different?

Phillips: They’re showing this other side of Eric without betraying what’s true in the original. When you watch the original film you just don’t know that much about Prince Eric, he’s a little bit of a blank slate. What’s cool, because he’s a bit more of a blank slate, you get it infuse certain aspects of his personality that you maybe haven’t been able to see before. Certain questions he’s asking, certain wants that he has. It does feel a little bit more progressive. Why is this guy trying to get out of these castle walls? Why does he feel so much more at home when he’s exploring uncharted water? Why is he reaching out so much at this point in his life? Why is he so open at this point in his life that he would be able to fall in love with someone from a completely different world? You have to be in a particularly mindset and place in your life for that to be a possibility.

Just as you are seeing a lot of these iconic Disney princesses finding their voice in maybe ways they haven’t before, you’re also seeing the princes be more vulnerable in certain ways too.
When you see someone who is in a position of power, like a prince, able to express uncertainty or go against maybe what everyone would expect of him, you see that these princes are not made of stone. Princes are people too. [Laughs] Make that a hashtag.

Paste: How involved is the audience going to be in the production?

Phillips: The audience they’re all doing stuff. They’re all in some sort of costumes. When you enter this world everyone is taking an active part in holding this reality together. Most of the audience will have ear pieces in. My mom and my eight-year-old niece Stella are going to be in the audience. She’s a huge Little Mermaid fan.

Paste: How excited is she that her uncle is going to be Prince Eric?

Phillips: She’s very confused by this whole thing. She’s a very bright girl. For her these characters are still a reality. She knows I’m an actor. She totally gets what I’m doing but with a show as iconic as The Little Mermaid she doesn’t quite get how I can be the prince.

Paste:How is this whole blending of the animated film with the live action going to work?

Phillips: Quite frankly I didn’t understand it at all when I first signed on to it. The format is that there’s all the original songs including some no one has ever heard before that Alan Menken arranged specifically for this. I think there are a dozen songs in total. The animated feature carries us forward as far as the plot goes. All the scenes are carried forward by the original film but whenever you get to a song, there’s a rather clever transition that takes us into the sound stage at Disney.

Paste: Switching gears a bit, you left The Good Wife to attend Princeton. How big of a decision was it to leave a successful TV series where you were a series regular?

Phillips: It was a fairly big decision, but you have to understand my character was going to college at some point. It was a pretty easy decision for me mainly because at that point I had been home schooled for four years and I like being around people my own age. I had been working with adults for a lot of the time. I always felt very comfortable with people older than myself but I was really craving a normal social situation, and on top of that I knew I wanted to write and direct so I wanted to work on my writing. I also understand that it’s really difficult to be an artist in a vacuum. If you spend all your time acting I think it’s easy to run out of fuel. Because you’re not really experiencing new things and coming into contact with people who disagree with you.

Paste: And you were a history major?

Phillips: I was US history major but I did a bit of Native American history as well. For some reason I’ve always been drawn to all things Native American. It ended up inspiring a film my brother and I did called The Bygone. My brother and I wrote it and we directed it and I actually played the lead in it as well. The thesis that I wrote which was on indigenous resistance to colonialism. It was told particularly from the perspective of violence against native women

Paste: What’s next for you?

Phillips: As far as my acting is going I’ve really been focused on getting roles that use my voice. My focus in the broader sense is a focus on this film my brother and I are doing based on this novel called The Fighter by Michael Ferris Smith. It’s a really cool southern gothic noir fight movie about this middle age fighter in the Mississippi delta. It’s just such an incredible redemption story. We are filming that in April and right now we’re calling it Rumble Through the Dark.

Paste Any chance we will ever see Zach Florrick on The Good Fight?

Phillips: [Series creators] Robert and Michelle King reached out about a year ago when I think Juliana [Margulies] was in talks to do an episode and it didn’t end up working out. I did send an email letting them know I would love to revisit Zach. I’ve matured in certain ways. I now can look back and sort of interpret where Zach might be in this point of time. I heard hints of what they had thought Zach might be doing. He becomes a little bit of a rebel in certain ways, not in a rebel-without-a-cause-way, think more like Wikileaks business. I was really intrigued by everything they’ve told me so they’re aware of my interest and it seems like something that might end up happening in the next year or so.

Paste: So how nervous are you about the live show?

Phillips: You ask me this question as I’m walking into a yoga class. I’m not nervous and I’d like to keep it that way so I’m definitely taking very good care of myself. The important thing is to keep your mind off the worst-case scenarios. There are millions of reasons you should just be going for it in a positive way. There’s so much beauty to be found in a story like this to bring yourself down by thinking how you could screw up your entrance swinging in on a rope or flub a lyric, those thoughts are parasitic if you are doing something live. There’s really no room for it so I’ve decided to not make room for it. I’m feeling really good.

The Wonderful World of Disney Presents The Little Mermaid Live! airs November 4 at 8 p.m. on ABC.

User's Signature

+Quote Post
veu
messaggio 5/11/2019, 21:42
Messaggio #71

Gold Member

Da HollywoodLife:

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW
NOVEMBER 5, 2019 8:58AM EST
‘Little Mermaid Live’s Graham PhillipsReveals He Gets To ‘Shed A Little Bit OfLight’ On Prince Eric

Graham Phillips is back to his musical roots in ‘The Little Mermaid Live!’ Graham is playing Prince Eric and spoke with HL EXCLUSIVELY about the epic live musical production, his biggest challenge, and more.

The Little Mermaid Live! will make its splashy debut on Nov. 5. Graham Phillips, 26, will be playing the swoonworthy role of Prince Eric and will show us a side of the Disney prince that we’ve never seen before. He stars alongside Auli’i Cravalho, 18, who plays Ariel, and Queen Latifah, 49, who plays Ursula. HollywoodLife talked EXCLUSIVELY with the actor about diving into the hybrid format, honoring the beloved Disney film after 30 years, and his favorite song in the production.

Graham revealed the song he performed for his Prince Eric audition and why he loves “Her Voice,” a song that wasn’t in the original film. He also admitted that his biggest challenge has been “learning to sing with monitors” in his ears. While he’s no stranger to stage work, he said the “size of this is definitely bigger” than anything he’s done before. Graham also discussed his upcoming projects, including the film he’ll be directing. Check out our Q&A below.

What was the process for you to get the role of Prince Eric?
Graham Phillips: I knew that they were doing the film version and so I was already looking at the music for that and I just fell in love with Alan Menken’s music. And so whether I was going to get the role or not, it was a fun thing for me to work on singing wise. I guess I was sort of lucky that I had already been preparing it for a while because I just heard through a friend of mine that this broadcast was happening and they were getting close to the end of it. I put in a call and expressed my interest and I went in for Dawn Soler, the head of ABC music, a few days after that. It was a very quick process. I just went in and sang the one song and they pretty much gave me the role in the room, which has never really happened to me before. I felt kind of bad about it because they had some other people that they were seeing that day afterward. And I was like, “Well, all these other people prepared as well.” But also, you never know. You can think that you get a role… hell, they can even tell you that you got a role and it doesn’t always mean you got it until you’re on stage doing it.

What was the song that you sang for the audition?
Graham Phillips: The song that I sang is called “Her Voice,” which is a song that wasn’t in the original film. It was added by Alan when they adapted it into the Broadway show. It’s a beautiful song. I think a lot of people who love the film are going to be really pleasantly surprised because it feels like such an iconic song that could have been in the original film. I bet most people that are watching it, it’ll be their first time hearing it. I just love it. The orchestrations are beautiful and it helps put you into Prince Eric’s head. I love the film but you don’t really know exactly what’s going on in Prince Eric’s head. It’s not his story, it’s the mermaid’s story. So it’s cool that they give Prince Eric this moment where you really understand him, that the forbidden love thing is on both sides and it’s a little bit more of a Romeo and Juliet story as opposed to just Juliet with Romeo.

Was coming on board the project intimidating for you at all?
Graham Phillips: Since I was born and bred in the theater world, it didn’t really intimidate me too much. The size of this is definitely bigger than I’m used to, just as far as the audience because it’s on television rather than a normal onstage shindig. It didn’t really faze me too much, but it’s definitely the biggest stage that I’ve been on. But at the same time, I’m a little unusual in the sense that I’ve always felt the least self-conscious on a stage versus whether I’m doing film or TV. You have to radiate out what you’re feeling and being authentic is the last thing on your mind. You’re feeding off of the energy of the audience and it’s just a different beast. So I definitely feel more comfortable when there are a lot of people watching, which is kind of bizarre.

I feel like The Little Mermaid Live! is going to be the perfect combination of the movie and the musical. It must feel great to open the eyes of the masses to other characters in the film that we necessarily didn’t get that much of in the movie.
Graham Phillips: It’s really exciting for me to play Prince Eric for that exact reason. Because most people never got to know him from the film. I get to shed a little bit of light on what kind of a guy he is or at least what my interpretation of that is. He does have a lot more going on than initially meets the eye. There’s a reason why he’s the sailor prince and he takes to the ocean to escape from the walls of his castle. He feels comfortable only when he’s exploring uncharted waters, that’s what makes him feel alive. I think it’s really telling that he feels like his destiny is off in the sea and he ends up finding Ariel out there. He’s at an age where he’s searching for something. Like a lot of the great love stories, he doesn’t know that it’s love. He’s out there looking for what maybe feels like adventure or something new and love just comes and hits him on the head with a pan.

What is your favorite song that Prince Eric will sing in The Little Mermaid Live?
Graham Phillips: Obviously, “Her Voice” is special for Prince Eric. It strikes a chord with what the heart of the story is. But “Fathoms Below,” which is the very first song that anyone’s going to hear when they tune in, is about the spirit of the sea. It’s about the excitement of being on a ship and going someplace unknown. I just think it really captures the essence of who Prince Eric is, but also the essence of what the whole show is about. Because it’s something very new, the excitement of getting into something that you’re not exactly sure how it’s going to turn out. That’s true for the audience as well, just in the sense that it’s a multi-medium live production. So in that sense, it’s very new. But it’s also very new for everyone who’s on stage. We’ve never done anything like this before because it hasn’t been done. It feels exciting. There’s almost a danger to it.

What was your initial reaction to this being a hybrid of mediums?
Graham Phillips: When I found out that it was going to be a hybrid version of the show with the musical numbers being live and the movie being screened to carry the plot forward and handle all of the scenes, I was really relieved because one of the things that I wasn’t so sure about was how we were going to compete with the original film. Because there are so many of those scenes that are so embedded in people’s heads. So to try to compete with that sense of nostalgia is just, in my eyes, impossible. Just the mechanics of doing a live show with a mermaid, having to swim around and everything, it just seems really challenging for two and a half hours straight. Thirdly, my last concern was that there are so many different unique locations and to do seamless scene transitions where you can really transform the space enough, seems really challenging. So I was really happy when they were going to be using the film as the foundation. I think it gives us a little bit more leeway with exploring new ideas in the songs. They’re very exciting because they’re different. But it’s nice for people to have a bit of what they already know as well, if we can get away with it.

What’s it been like working with Auli’i and collaborating with her on some really great songs and the cast as a whole?
Graham Phillips: I love working with Auli’i. She’s got such a great spirit. I feel like she’s a perfect mermaid in that she’s very thoughtful but she’s free-spirited. Just the way that she sings even, she really exposes her feelings in a way that’s very natural and not performative. You can naturally hear her emotion in her sound. I think that’s really rare and something that’s important for Ariel. We have a duet that we’re singing in this that has never been done before. So that’ll be really fun to hear people’s reactions to that. It’s a unique story between the two of them because they don’t really spend all that much time together. The time they do spend together, they don’t really get to speak all that much. So in some ways, it is like love at first sight story because even though they’re with each other, they don’t get to learn all that much about each other after that initial electric first moment. So it’s really important that you have two people that can have that chemistry and I feel like she really makes it easy.

Over the course of rehearsals and getting into character, what’s been the most challenging aspect for you?
Graham Phillips: Honestly, the most challenging thing has been learning to sing with monitors in your ears. I grew up learning to sing without anything in my ears. I heard my voice through the natural environment. Even when I record in a studio, I have one headset off of my ear so I can hear what my voice sounds like in an ambient environment. But then, because of the nature of the space and just how they’re having to isolate the sound, your monitor is completely soundproof. So you’re hearing your voice basically piped back into your ears, after going through the sound equipment. Your voice sounds completely different. Just learning to retrain yourself to not be bothered by that and not be hyper-focused on what you sound like. Because I find that I sound best when I’m not thinking about how I sound. So that’s been the biggest challenge.

I can’t believe it’s been 30 years since the movie came out. What do you think makes The Little Mermaid Live! so timeless?
Graham Phillips: I think the theme of people feeling trapped in the routine of their life is something that will never really go away. You have young Prince Eric on one side who is trapped in his seemingly perfect life in a castle where he should really have no problems, and yet he’s fairly unhappy with that life and is trying to escape from it. Likewise you have Ariel, who is trapped inside of a different sort of castle and trying to reach out for something new and different. It just goes to show that no matter how fortunate you are, how good of a life you have, or how good of a life other people think you have, there’s always this part of all of us that wants to connect with others. For every piece of fear in us towards things and people who are different than us, there’s this capacity for love on the other side of things.

You also have so many other projects coming up. What’s next for you?
Graham Phillips: On the completely other end of the spectrum, my brother and I have been working on the other side of camera. We have a modern-day western that we filmed that took place in North Dakota. It comes out November 11 and it’s called The Bygone. It sort of deals with the oil fracking boom in North Dakota and this cowboy who falls in love with this Native American girl who disappears. You have to figure out what happened to her, as she’s fighting her way through this wild borderland of crime and the North Dakota Badlands. What’s interesting is there are actually some similar themes between The Little Mermaid and The Bygone, which I hadn’t really thought about. But again, there’s this theme of two groups of people that you sort of see as different and incompatible in some ways. And in The Little Mermaid, it’s humans and merpeople. And in The Bygone, it’s cowboys and Indians. By the end of both, you realize that they’re not as different as you think. They’re going through a lot of the same things.

You’re also going to be directing!
Graham Phillips: So the next film that we’re doing is based on this novel called The Fighter, written by this incredible Mississippi author Michael Farris Smith. The screenplay title is Rumble Through the Dark and it’s about this middle-aged, illegal cage fighter in the Mississippi Delta who’s deeply in debt and has bad amnesia from all the fights that he did growing up. Basically, it leads up to this one last fight to get himself out of debt and to take care of his elderly mom and get her house back for her. There’s just such unbelievable characters and we’re going into casting right now and I can’t wait to get the cast together. We had been shooting B-roll in Mississippi already and it’s such a unique part of the U.S. There’s just so much history there. There are so many souls there that are still like floating around, be it slaves or soldiers. It’s just where a lot of the U.S. became what it is today.

You’ve obviously been acting a really long time. Have you always wanted to step behind the camera or was this something that you realized pretty recently?
Graham Phillips: I’ve always been messing around with cameras as long as I can remember. Taking them apart, trying to put them back together again, sometimes putting them back together again. I always wanted to be on the other side of camera. I’d say when I was like 13 or 14 I really started piecing together footage into stories. The thing was, I always knew I wanted to do it with my brother. He’s a really talented writer. He’s five years older than me. So we were really just waiting for me to get out of college. Because when I was in high school, he was in college. Then when he graduated, I was in college. So we started The Bygone while I was still writing my thesis at Princeton, which was actually on Native American issues in the United States. That’s sort of what inspired the first film, this problem of violence against Native women and this parallel between how people treat their land and how they treat their women. We’ve always wanted to make films. Now we’re finally getting to do it and we’re loving it.

User's Signature

+Quote Post
veu
messaggio 5/11/2019, 21:46
Messaggio #72

Gold Member

Da Playbill:

John Stamos Returns to the Role of The Little Mermaid's Chef Louis, False Mustache and All
BY NOAH MUTTERPERL
NOV 05, 2019

The stage and screen star will appear as the “poisson-loving” chef in the live musical on ABC November 5.
As actor John Stamos waited backstage at the Hollywood Bowl for his big song in Disney’s The Little Mermaid, he mentally prepared himself to portray the eccentric Chef Louis. However, once he had the chef’s giant mustache on, his transition into character was instantaneous.

“I put on that mustache and something came over me,” Stamos said. “I had a sense of bravado with the character that I didn’t have before.”

After his energetic rendition of “Les Poisson” (a song about Chef's love of brutally cutting apart dead fish) at the Hollywood Bowl, Stamos was asked to don the over-the-top mustache one last time for ABC's The Little Mermaid Live!, premiering November 5.

“What’s great playing this character is that he can flip at any moment; one second he loves the fish, the next he’s going to murder them,” Stamos said. “He’s like a Sweeney Todd character in that way.”

Unlike previous live musicals on major networks, The Little Mermaid Live! is a hybrid of the animated feature and live performances. This Tuesday, the original 1989 movie will play on ABC, but for each song, the program will cut to a live, fully designed and choreographed musical number. The live portion of the event will feature 12 of Alan Menken’s songs from both The Little Mermaid film and the Broadway stage adaptation.

Read: What to Expect from The Little Mermaid Live on ABC

“This event is the perfect combination of the old and the new,” Stamos said, “Fans of the original get to sit down and watch the movie they love but with some extra zhuzh.”

Stamos is joined by a star-studded cast including Auli’i Cravalho (Moana) as Ariel, Graham Phillips (The Good Wife) as Prince Eric, Queen Latifah as Ursula, and reggae artist Shaggy as Sebastian. Hamish Hamilton, known for his work on numerous Super Bowl half time shows, directs the live television event.

“The team has created a really safe environment for us to play around in and try new things,” Stamos says on the rehearsal process for the production. He mentioned that his musical number in particular will feature dancing, knife throwing, and interaction with the live studio audience.

“We’re really having a blast, and hopefully the audience at home will too!”

The Little Mermaid Live! airs Tuesday, November 5 at 8 pm EDT/ on ABC.

Video:

Click

User's Signature

+Quote Post

4 Pagine V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 utenti stanno leggendo questa discussione (1 visitatori e 0 utenti anonimi)
0 utenti:

RSS Versione Lo-Fi Oggi è il: 28/3/2024, 20:17