Benvenuto Visitatore ( Log In | Registrati )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Pinocchio Il Musical
veu
messaggio 20/2/2017, 14:11
Messaggio #1

Gold Member

Gruppo: Moderatore

Dal sito Playbill:

London’s National Theatre Plans Disney’s Pinocchio for Christmas

Creative team will include John Tiffany as director and Bob Crowley as designer with a book by Dennis Kelly.

London’s National Theatre is in the advanced stages of planning a Christmas stage version of Pinocchio, based partly on the 1940 Disney film version and the original Carlo Collodi tales. Disney Theatricals has given its blessing for the stage version to be created (and songs from the film and others in the Disney catalogue to be used), but is not otherwise creatively or financially involved. The musical is scheduled to open at the National’s Lyttelton Theatre in December.

According to a report by Baz Bamigboye for the Daily Mail, the creative team will be led by John Tiffany (Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Once, and Blackwatch) as director, reuniting with the designer, choreographer, and musical supervisor of the Tony-winning musical Once, respectively, Bob Crowley, Steven Hoggett, and Martin Lowe. Puppets will co-designed by Crowley and Toby Olie (War Horse). The book will be by playwright Dennis Kelly (Matilda), replacing the originally planned Enda Walsh.

National artistic director Rufus Norris is quoted as saying of Tiffany's work, “He can build up the theatricality in a handmade way, rather than bringing on tons of scenery.” He added that the National is “not in the market for doing a huge-scale, Disney-style musical. We’re talking about a story that’s essentially set in a puppetry workshop, so there’s a lot of that aesthetic built into the Collodi story.”

Disney Theatricals president Thomas Schumacher is reported to have allowed “unfettered access to songs used in the 1940 film,” including “I’ve Got No Strings,” “Give A Little Whistle,” “When You Wish Upon a Star,” and “Hi Diddle Dee Dee,” plus tunes from the Disney back catalogue.

Schumacher commented that Lowe has come up with “fantastic arrangements of songs, and ways to weave the music in and out of the story.” He has added of Tiffany's involvement, “If someone like John Tiffany comes to you and says, ’I want to do Pinocchio—will you let me have a chance at it?,’ why not say yes?!”

Schumacher is reported to have allowed the National to have complete artistic control and to produce the show. He is quoted saying, “They’re going to do a great job. It needs the safe environment of the National, so John and his team of artists can work on it without any outside pressure.”

Schumacher says that plans beyond the National will depend on the outcome there: he labeled it "an experiment" and said that if, for whatever reason, it didn’t work, “no harm, no foul.” And he commented, "If it’s just good — and if that’s the worst thing that happens — it’s perfectly fine. And if it is something that’s remarkable, wouldn’t that be great for the National?! We have an agreement to make an agreement when we see what it is.”

Tickets are expected to go on sale this summer.

Dal sito Jim Hill Media:

And - no - I'm not talking about that live stage version of Disney's "Pinocchio" which John Tiffany (i.e., the director of London's smash hit, two-part theatrical event, "Harry Potter and the Cursed Child") will be staging at the National Theatre starting in December.

Mind you, as a follow-up to her "Lion King" triumph, Julie Taymor worked with Disney Theatrical Productions in the early 2000s to try and adapt the animated version of "Pinocchio" to the stage. In an October 2001 interview with the Telegraph, Taymor described her vision for this proposed musical:

"(Pinocchio) won't look anything like The Lion King," she says. "I'm looking for a whacked-out, commedia dell'arte style, funky, hand-made, nasty-edged theatre, with a rambunctious, wild, edgy quality."

So why didn't Julie's version of "Pinocchio" (which was supposed to draw most of its inspiration from Carlo Collodi's original story from 1880 rather than Disney's 1940 animated film) go forward? Perhaps that's a story that Patrick Hinds can explore as part of some future episode of the Official Disney on Broadway podcast.

Il progetto risalirebbe addirittura al 2001:

Dal sito The Telegraph:

The odd-couple relationship between Disney and Taymor has been genuinely symbiotic. She's made them artistically credible, they have given her a chance to bring her inspired visual and directorial skills to a far wider audience. And though Taymor has gone on to films, with an acclaimed movie version of Titus Andronicus under her belt and a new picture about the painter Frida Kahlo nearing completion, they are now at the start of a new theatrical collaboration - Pinocchio, whose theme she relates to the September 11 atrocity, which she witnessed from her apartment in downtown Manhattan.

"It's a dark time for us, but as Americans we must delve into how we have acquired the image of the devil for a great many people," she says. "I'm a true patriot and I love the freedom America offers, but we must stop isolating; we must embrace the other."

Taymor realised that "Pinocchio is a story about what it means to be human. Why would you want to be human when you could just be a little wooden puppet with no conscience?" she asks.

She has gone back to the original Collodi story, and essentially sees Pinocchio as a fable about adolescence, that awkward age when "hormones start kicking in, you smoke dope, and need to break away from your family and discover your own identity".

She's working on the project in collaboration with her long-term partner, the composer Elliot Goldenthal (who wrote the scores for two of the Batman movies, Michael Collins and Interview with the Vampire), and the novelist Robert Coover, who has written an adult, ironic novel about the story, Pinocchio in Venice.

"The show won't look anything like The Lion King," she says. "I'm looking for a whacked-out, commedia dell'arte style, funky, hand-made, nasty-edged theatre, with a rambunctious, wild, edgy quality."

The words commedia dell'arte normally send me hurtling to the vomitorium. But Taymor is such a gloriously inventive artist, I suspect she will bring me round to her own distinctive vision.

User's Signature

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
I seguenti utenti hanno apprezzato questo post:
Filippo
messaggio 20/2/2017, 20:56
Messaggio #2

Millennium Member

Gruppo: Utente

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA *W* Sarebbe stupendoooooo. Adoro Pinocchio.

User's Signature

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 utenti stanno leggendo questa discussione (1 visitatori e 0 utenti anonimi)
0 utenti:

RSS Versione Lo-Fi Oggi è il: 19/3/2024, 3:16