Benvenuto Visitatore ( Log In | Registrati )

2 Pagine V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Newsies - Gli Strilloni, il Musical
veu
messaggio 3/12/2007, 0:46
Messaggio #1

Gold Member

Gruppo: Moderatore

Alan Menken e Stephen Schwartz hanno in mente di rivedere alcuni progetti del passato e trasportarli a musical per la Disney a Broadway...

Tra questi progetti, uno dei primi sarà NEWSIES (titolo italiano: GLI STRILLONI), ispirato al film Disney del 1992...

Trama: La storia si basa su fatti realmente accaduti alla fine del 1800 a New York.
Gli strilloni, ossia coloro che urlavano i titoli per vendere i giornali, si ritrovano a dover pagare una sovrattassa decisa da Joseph Pulitzer. A questo punto gli strilloni si riuniscono in un sindacato, protestando e vincendo la battaglia contro l'editore newyorkese.

Che ne dite?

User's Signature

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Scissorhands
messaggio 3/12/2007, 1:13
Messaggio #2

Gold Member

Da: Campobasso/Angers

CITAZIONE (veu @ 3/12/2007, 0:46)
Alan Menken e Stephen Schwartz hanno in mente di rivedere alcuni progetti del passato e trasportarli a musical per la Disney a Broadway...

Tra questi progetti, uno dei primi sarà NEWSIES (titolo italiano: GLI STRILLONI), ispirato al film Disney del 1992...

Trama: La storia si basa su fatti realmente accaduti alla fine del 1800 a New York.
Gli strilloni, ossia coloro che urlavano i titoli per vendere i giornali, si ritrovano a dover pagare una sovrattassa decisa da Joseph Pulitzer. A questo punto gli strilloni si riuniscono in un sindacato, protestando e vincendo la battaglia contro l'editore newyorkese.

Che ne dite?

uao fantastico!!!!!!!!!!
Il film è considerato un piccolo cult!! E tutto ciò che Alan tocca diventa oro!!
Quindi ben venga!!!!!!!!!
veu teneteci informati e mi raccomando,se potete, toglietemi quel dubbio su Wicked!!!!!!!!!!

User's Signature

thanks to giagia

+Quote Post
giagia
messaggio 3/12/2007, 15:20
Messaggio #3

Gold Member

Gruppo: Utente
Da: Roma (RM)

Bellissimo progetto! Sono sicuro sarà un caplavoro: Sieze the Day e King of New York sono tra le mie canzoni preferite!
Scissor, ho visto Wicked sabato pomeriggio (e Mary Poppins venerdì sera) a Londra, se posso esserti d'aiuto... (contattami tramite MP, sennò andiamo OT)

Messaggio modificato da giagia il 3/12/2007, 16:19

User's Signature

+Quote Post
scrooge4
messaggio 3/12/2007, 19:15
Messaggio #4

Millennium Member

Da: L'Aquila

Da sempre uno dei miei film preferiti. Quindi non posso che essere contento!
smile.gif

+Quote Post
veu
messaggio 8/3/2010, 22:14
Messaggio #5

Gold Member

Dal sito StitchKingdom:

Today, we catch a glimpse of another project Disney Theatrical is apparently working on: Newsies. The 1992 Christian Bale vehicle was a major flop for the Disney Studios but eventually became somewhat of a cult hit on video.

No doubt this is going to make an awful lot of folks very, very happy if Newsies does manage to finds its way to Broadway, or the musical theater anywhere and Disney Theatrical is working hard to eliminate any doubt that either new proposed show will conduct a national tour, at least through the domain registration process.

Registered yesterday, we have: NEWSIESBROADWAY.COM, NEWSIESMUSICAL.COM, NEWSIESONTOUR.COM, NEWSIESTHEMUSICAL.COM and NEWSIESTICKETS.COM.

Traduzione: la Disney ha registrato i domini per il musical Newsies...

News:

Michael Kosarin, supervisore musicale del musical Sister Act, ha confermato che lui e Alan Menken stanno lavorando a Newsies e dice che "quando saprete chi sono gli artisti che parteciperanno a questo musical, non ci crederete"...

User's Signature

+Quote Post
Scissorhands
messaggio 9/3/2010, 1:47
Messaggio #6

Gold Member

CITAZIONE (veu @ 8/3/2010, 22:14) *
News:

Michael Kosarin, supervisore musicale del musical Sister Act, ha confermato che lui e Alan Menken stanno lavorando a Newsies e dice che "quando saprete chi sono gli artisti che parteciperanno a questo musical, non ci crederete"...

Fantastico ci speravo davvero... immagino vogliano fare un loro Billy Elliot!

User's Signature

thanks to giagia

+Quote Post
veu
messaggio 28/9/2010, 22:29
Messaggio #7

Gold Member

Dal sito Collider:
Intervista a Menken... ecco cosa dice a proposito di questo musical

You are constantly developing something new, including the upcoming theatrical production of The Hunchback of Notre Dame.

Menken: The main things that are going on is Leap of Faith is opening here at the Ahmanson Theatre on October 3rd. That’s my gospel musical. Sister Act is running in London at the Palladium, and coming to Broadway in the spring. So those are my two, big, active projects, and then there is a stage musical of Newsies, Hunchback, and Aladdin all coming.

User's Signature

+Quote Post
veu
messaggio 12/12/2010, 22:45
Messaggio #8

Gold Member

Dal sito Broadway World:

BWW Exclusive: The Cast of Disney's NEWSIES Reading!

BroadwayWorld.com's scoopsters have found the cast list for this Friday's highly-anticipated reading of Disney's NEWSIES musical. Of course, participation in a reading is not a predictor of who will appear in any future productions and no announcement has been made regarding where or when a production will be mounted.

Newsies features a score by Alan Menken and lyricist Jack Feldman (who together provided the music for the 1992 film) and a new book being written by Harvey Fierstein.

The cast of the reading features Jay Armstrong Johnson (Jack), Jason Michael Snow (Davey), Matthew Gumley (Les), Meghann Fahy (Katherine), Shuler Hensley (Joseph Pulitzer), Liz Larsen (Medda), Tom Alan Robbins (Mr. Jacobi/Roosevelt), Marcus Neville (Snyder), Mark Price (Bunsen), Bill Nolte (Seitz) and Robert Creighton (Wiesel).

Also in the cast are Andrew Keenan-Bolger (Crutchie/Ensemble), Corey Mach (M. Delancey/Ensemble), Ben Thompson (O. Delancey/Ensemble), Bobby List (Finch/Ensemble), Robert Hager (Race/Ensemble), John Arthur Greene (Spot/Ensemble), Danny Calvert (Bill/George/Henry/Ensemble), Jordan Nichols (Albert/Darcy/Elmer/Ends), Dante Russo (Mush/Ensemble), Stuart Marland (Ensemble), Etai BenShlomo (Specs/Ensemble), Julie Foldesi (Ensemble) and Jenelle Lynn Randall (Ensemble).

Newsies was a 1992 Disney live-action musical film starring Christian Bale, David Moscow, and Bill Pullman. Robert Duvall and Ann-Margret also appeared in supporting roles. The movie gained a cult following after its initial failure at the box office. The film marked the directorial debut of choreographer Kenny Ortega (Dirty Dancing, High School Musical, This is It and upcoming In The Heights).

The film is based on the true story of the 1899 newsboys strike, in which the pint-sized newsboys delivering the New York papers went on strike against the unfair practices of news magnates Joseph Pulitzer and William Randolph Hearst. The film features 12 songs and multiple dance sequences including Carrying the Banner, Santa Fe, My Lovey-Dovey Baby, The World Will Know, Seize the Day, King of New York, Hard Times, Hard Times, Once and For All and more.

User's Signature

+Quote Post
Beast
messaggio 15/2/2011, 10:46
Messaggio #9

Gold Member

Da: Cn

Da The Disney Blog:

Newsies Stage Musical to open in September

Ladies and Gentlemen, boys and girls, the day you thought would never come is almost here. It’s time to seize the day and buy some season tickets to the Paper Mill Playhouse in Millburn New Jersey. That’s where a new stage version of the cult Disney musical Newsies will produced.

The theatrical production of Newsies will feature the original music from Alan Menken as well as some new numbers. A new book is being written by Harvey Fierstein. In theory they’re excavating the material that resulted in a bomb when the movie was in theaters and writing a few new story lines, including a new female love interest for Jack “Cowboy” Kelly, the part originated by Christian Bales. Menken explains more of his role in the new version in the New York times.

It’s the first step on the road to what Disney Theatrical is hoping will be a revived life for the musical with high school productions and perhaps even a run on Broadway. In the meantime will be keeping our eye on the Paper Mill Playhouse to see what the new version looks like.

User's Signature

+Quote Post
Scissorhands
messaggio 17/2/2011, 2:15
Messaggio #10

Gold Member

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/02/...ptw&_r=true

Extra, Extra! ‘Newsies’ Musical to Open Paper Mill Playhouse Season
By DAVE ITZKOFF
NewsiesDisney Christian Bale, center, in the 1992 film version of “Newsies.”

Stop the presses! Or should that be, restart the presses? Either way, “Newsies,” the misunderstood but much-loved Disney movie musical about the New York City newsboys who organize a labor strike in 1899, is getting a second edition. On Monday, the theater said that a stage version of “Newsies” would be the opening production at the 2011-12 season of the Paper Mill Playhouse in Millburn, N.J., and would feature music by Alan Menken (the film’s original composer) and Jack Feldman (its original lyricist) as well as a new book by Harvey Fierstein.

“The truth is, things have a life of their own,” a mildly stunned Mr. Menken said in a recent telephone interview.

Mr. Menken, who also composed music for Disney blockbusters like “The Little Mermaid,” “Beauty and the Beast” and “Aladdin,” is hardly unaware of the reception that greeted “Newsies” when it was released as a film in 1992. The movie, which starred an 18-year-old Christian Bale as a singing, dancing, paper-pushing urchin named Jack (Cowboy) Kelly and was directed by Kenny Ortega (the future director of the “High School Musical” franchise), was torn apart by critics and spiked by audiences, grossing less than $3 million on a budget of $15 million.

Not that Mr. Menken felt burned at the time. “I won three Academy Awards within the course of three years and one Razzie,” he said. “The Razzie was for ‘Newsies.’ ”

But in the years that followed, “Newsies” sold surprisingly well on home video, and Mr. Menken continued to see it turn up in the lives of his children.

“I’d come to a mall, and there would be one of those areas where people perform,” he said. “They’d be doing ‘Seize the Day,’ I’d go, ‘Look at that!’ And then I’d find out, ‘They’re doing “Newsies” at my school.’ I said: ‘They are? How are they doing that?’ ”

More recently, Mr. Menken said he was contacted by his agent, who told him that Disney was preparing a version for the stage.

Recalling the conversation with his agent, Mr. Menken said, “He told me: ‘You don’t have to get involved. They’ll take your songs, and someone else will come and write new ones. I just want to let you know.’ I said, ‘Oh, no. No, no, no. It’s my baby, no.’ ‘Alan, there’s not going to be any money.’ ‘I don’t care. I don’t care, this is my baby.’ ”

The Paper Mill Playhouse production, which will run from Sept. 15 to Oct. 16 and has not yet announced its cast, has “latched onto exciting elements of what we had in the movie” and is “minimizing the things that were not so great about the movie,” Mr. Menken said.

The principal newsboys, Jack, David and Les, will remain the main characters, and a new female character — who will serve as a love interest for Jack — has been created for the stage show.

“Newsies” die-hards will also be pleased to hear that the newsboy Crutchy — so named for the crutch he walks on — is staying in the story. (“Crutchy’s a bigger character than he ever was,” Mr. Menken said. “Crutchy’s very pivotal. Very pivotal.”)

On the advice of his younger daughter, Mr. Menken said he had been trying to work a female newsgirl character into the lineup as well.

“My daughter went to a girl’s camp where they did ‘Newsies,’ and they invented a character of Swifty for her to play,” Mr. Menken said. “She said, ‘Dad, if you ever do “Newsies” on stage, you’ve got to let Swifty be in the show.’ I’m still working on that one with Harvey.”

Though his daughters, now 22 and 25, are not officially on the payroll, Mr. Menken said their input had been crucial to the development of the “Newsies” musical, even when it was not asked for.

“They are more protective about ‘Newsies’ than all the other projects I’ve done, combined,” Mr. Menken said. “It is ridiculous. It’s really ridiculous. When I told them about a certain song that got cut, they got viscerally angry at me. ‘Oh no you don’t. Oh no. No, Dad, no.’ It’s like they own it and I don’t.”

Mr. Menken said he had frequently encountered similar reactions from fans in their teens and 20s.

“It’s like ‘Newsies’ is actually owned by this generation of kids,” he said. “Of course, I’ll be the one to collect the royalties, thank you very much.”

User's Signature

thanks to giagia

+Quote Post
Beast
messaggio 15/9/2011, 9:26
Messaggio #11

Gold Member

Primo video delle prove:

User's Signature

+Quote Post
warhol_84
messaggio 10/10/2011, 12:15
Messaggio #12

Advanced Member

Ecco che, dopo Aladdin, anche Newsies ha debuttato:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DppF7XER-8o

+Quote Post
Scissorhands
messaggio 4/1/2012, 19:42
Messaggio #13

Gold Member

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118046173

'Newsies' strikes Broadway
Disney stage musical opens in March
By GORDON COX

Disney has set the musical stage version of the 1993 feature “Newsies” for a limited Broadway run.

Stop the presses: The stage tuner version of "Newsies" has booked a limited run at Broadway's Nederlander Theater beginning in March.
The Main Stem move has seemed a strong possibility ever since the show, with a score by Alan Menken and Jack Feldman and book by Harvey Fierstein, earned critical plaudits in a September world preem at the Paper Mill Playhouse in Millburn, N.J. Disney Theatrical Prods. will produce the Broadway transfer, set to run 101 perfs.

Developed by Disney in response to demand from regional, stock and amateur theaters, tuner hadn't initially been aimed at the Rialto. Plan was to develop a stage version for licensing to the orgs clamoring for the title, and then launch the adaptation with a modestly-scaled production that could serve as a licensable blueprint for future stagings.

The unit set for the Paper Mill incarnation was designed and constructed with the idea that it, too, could be licensed and easily transported. Set will make the move to the Nederlander along with the show.

Given the production's glowing notices, it's an unusual move to book the show for a limited time rather than a more traditional open-ended run. According to Thomas Schumacher, Disney Theatrical's producer and prexy, he's sticking to the plan to get the title out quickly to the legit troupes that want to license it, and he expects the Broadway stint to yield hefty branding benefits.

"By having been on Broadway, it positions us so much better to do well with licensing," he said.

Still, he didn't entirely rule out the possibility of keeping the show on Broadway longer, should response warrant.

Based on the 1992 movie musical, "Newsies" centers on a newsboy who organizes an army of ragamuffins in an 1899 strike against big-name publishers. Pic's original songwriting duo of Menken and Feldman augment the original score with new tunes, while Fierstein bases his script on the screenplay by Bob Tzudiker and Noni White.

Musical is helmed by Jeff Calhoun, who's directed a number of Disney Theatrical outings including "High School Musical," and choreographed by Christopher Gatelli. Casting for the show has not yet been set -- and includes one prominent question mark, in that the lead in the Paper Mill incarnation, Jeremy Jordan, is already appearing on Broadway in the previewing new tuner "Bonnie and Clyde" (also helmed by Calhoun).

"Newsies" operates on a smaller scale than the megabudget tuners ("The Lion King," "Mary Poppins") with which Disney Theatrical is more often associated. Company's policy is to keep mum about producing costs, but it's said the Broadway transfer is capitalized for less than $5 million.

Tuner won't be the only Disney property to land on the Main Stem this season. The Peter Pan prequel "Peter and the Starcatcher," on which Disney Theatrical is a co-producer, is also targeting a spring berth.

"Newsies" begins previews March 15 ahead of a March 29 opening at the Nederlander

User's Signature

thanks to giagia

+Quote Post
-kekkomon-
messaggio 4/1/2012, 20:52
Messaggio #14

Utente

Ma il film del 1992 è introvabile?

+Quote Post
Beast
messaggio 5/1/2012, 10:17
Messaggio #15

Gold Member

CITAZIONE (kekkomon @ 4/1/2012, 20:52) *
Ma il film del 1992 è introvabile?

Se non sbaglio è passato una sola volta in Rai molti anni fa. Lo sto cercando da parecchio, ma nulla. sad.gif

User's Signature

+Quote Post
Pan
messaggio 5/1/2012, 12:26
Messaggio #16

Administrator

Gruppo: Amministratore

CITAZIONE (Beast @ 5/1/2012, 10:17) *
Se non sbaglio è passato una sola volta in Rai molti anni fa. Lo sto cercando da parecchio, ma nulla. sad.gif

"Newsies" è un film che, come "Rocketeer", meritava molto più successo. Peccato che in Europa non sia stato distribuito in DVD; l'edizione americana, oltre ad essere ottima sul fronte audio/video, contiene un'infinità di extra.

User's Signature

+Quote Post
Scissorhands
messaggio 20/3/2012, 20:10
Messaggio #17

Gold Member

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118051552

Disney Theatrical mixes it up
Not all roads lead to Broadway
By GORDON COX

'Peter and the Starcatcher'

Although now headed for Broadway, 'Newsies' wasn’t developed for the Rialto.

NEW YORK -- Neither of the two shows from Disney Theatrical Prods. hitting Broadway this season -- "Peter and the Starcatcher," beginning previews March 28, nor "Newsies," opening a day later -- was initially intended for the Main Stem.
That's also true of "Aladdin," the two-act stage version of the 1992 animated pic produced by Seattle's 5th Avenue Theater earlier this season. And "The Jungle Book," helmer Mary Zimmerman's brewing legit incarnation, is slated for June 2013 at Chicago's Goodman Theater, not the Rialto.

Add all that together, and it starts to look like a new, more risk-averse strategy for Disney Theatrical, which most auds associate with break-the-bank Broadway spectacles like "The Lion King" and "Beauty and the Beast," as well as more recent, less successful outings "Tarzan" and "The Little Mermaid."

But don't call it a retrenchment. When viewed alongside the company's roster of developing projects aimed at different markets, the confluence of "Newsies" and "Peter" underscores the unusual fluidity with which Disney -- as a corporate stage division with access to a deep catalog of well-known titles -- can custom-tailor a project's legit path based on each individual title and its evolving needs.

Disney's still at work on large-scale Rialto-bound musicals, including a Stephen Daldry-led version of "Dumbo" and an "Alice in Wonderland" musical based on the 2010 Tim Burton pic. It has also partnered on a big-budget play version of "Shakespeare in Love," initially targeted for the West End.

But then there are the shows being created solely to be licensed out: There's a musical version of "Freaky Friday," for instance, developing under the helm of Christopher Ashley and not yet set for a particular destination (although a developmental staging at La Jolla Playhouse, the Ashley-led regional where "Peter" had its first production, seems a strong possibility). A retooled stage version of "The Hunchback of Notre Dame" also is in the works.

To hear Disney execs tell it, a lot of projects find their way via a process of cultural Darwinism. "We can decide as we watch a project evolve what path it will take," says Disney Theatrical producer Thomas Schumacher. "And we can move fluidly between those potential paths."

Or, as Ashley says: "Disney will serve no wine before its time."

Of course, the company benefits from the kind of resources and flexibility few on the Rialto share. Most solo producers, after all, can't consistently raise money to fund multiple creative "explorations" of a project and its artistic potential. To get investors onboard, there needs to be a revenue-earning endgame that usually involves Broadway.

Besides, significant coin comes from Disney's booming licensing business, making it feasible to generate solid returns on titles developed solely to be licensed out. Among such successes was the Disney-developed stage version of "High School Musical," an uber-popular title among school theater groups that also generated cash via a professional U.S. tour and an arena tour that played internationally.

It's a big help, too, that Disney owns most of the underlying rights to the properties it develops. "Since so often the ownership of the IP is with us, there aren't option windows we have to stick to," says David Schrader, Disney Theatrical's exec VP and managing director. "The development process doesn't have to be linear, and it can take its time."

Projects don't all originate from a single source or impulse.

The stage version of "Newsies," for instance, was initiated by Disney because the multiple requests received from regional, stock and amateur groups indicated there was a marketplace demand for it. The show -- with an augmented score by Alan Menken and Jack Feldman and a book by Harvey Fierstein -- was created specifically, and solely, to licensed, the same was true of "Aladdin."

Disney partnered with New Jersey's Paper Mill Playhouse for an initial production of "Newsies" that could serve as a template for subsequent producers of the title, and spied an additional opportunity for coin in creating a set that was built to be modular and movable, so that it too could be rented by companies licensing the tuner.

The critical and commercial success of the show at Paper Mill suggested "Newsies" might have some Broadway legs after all, and Disney Theatrical became the lead producer of the Rialto incarnation. Still, they're not banking on a Main Stem bonanza: Despite strong advance sales that hit $7 million by the first preview, the musical is penciled in for a brand-enhancing limited run, with further dates to be added if demand keeps up.

Meanwhile, "Peter" -- based on a book for which Disney holds the rights -- was initially suggested for adaptation by an exec at Disney-owned publisher Hyperion, and then developed further in a conversation between Schumacher and co-director Roger Rees, imagining the play as low-tech "story theater" along the lines of the Rees topliner "Nicholas Nickleby." "Peter" was first developed in work sessions at the Williamstown Theater Festival (where Rees was a.d.) and later in the staging at La Jolla.

That 2009 developmental run prompted further creative tinkering and shaping, after which "Peter" found a place in Gotham at Off Broadway's New York Theater Workshop, which produced the show as part of its 2010-11 season.

The strong reviews earned there convinced another team of commercial producers, Nancy Nagel Gibbs and Greg Schaffert, that "Peter" deserved a Rialto life. The two serve as lead producers on the commercial Rialto run.

"Disney is onboard as producer, and we also have them as advocates," Gibbs says. "I think they were helpful, for instance, in getting us a theater." ("Peter" will play the Brooks Atkinson, owned by the Nederlander Org, with which Disney has a longstanding relationship.)

Although "Newsies" and "Peter" both made their way to Gotham, none of the Disney Theatrical execs expect the same from every project the org develops. Take "Jungle Book": "Clearly it has certain overlaps with 'Lion King,'?" Schumacher acknowledges. "There's not a big hole in our Broadway catalog for a talking-animal show."

User's Signature

thanks to giagia

+Quote Post
Scissorhands
messaggio 30/3/2012, 17:28
Messaggio #18

Gold Member

Il musical sta avendo ottime recensioni!!
http://broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage...0&boardid=1

User's Signature

thanks to giagia

+Quote Post
Scissorhands
messaggio 30/3/2012, 17:29
Messaggio #19

Gold Member

Altra recensione:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/ne...-theater-305971

Rousing songs by Alan Menken and Jack Feldman, high-energy dance numbers, an appealing cast and an uplifting story make this reconceived version of the Christian Bale movie one of Disney Theatrical's most entertaining new properties in years.

NEW YORK -- Theater insiders are calling it the boys’ answer to Annie, and while that description might sound snarky, it’s not entirely off-base for Disney Theatrical’s crowd-pleasing stage adaptation of Newsies. Broadway clearly has an appetite for wholesome family entertainment, and the vocal audience response at previews indicates that the exhilarating melodies of Alan Menken’s score and the airborne bodies of the ensemble as they execute choreographer Christopher Gattelli’s athletic dance moves are hitting the spot. The thematic currency of scrappy underdogs taking on greedy powerbrokers doesn’t hurt either.
OUR EDITOR RECOMMENDS

Disney Adds 'Peter Pan' Prequel, 'Newsies' To Its Broadway Production Stable

Peter and the Starcatcher: Theater Review

Bonnie & Clyde: Theater Review
The show premiered last fall at New Jersey’s Paper Mill Playhouse and was conceived as a regional touring and licensing property until favorable response spurred Disney to announce a limited Broadway engagement through June 10. A two-month extension has been added prior to opening, based on hefty advance sales and strong early word.
STORY: Disney Adds 'Peter Pan' Prequel, 'Newsies' To Its Broadway Production Stable
For a movie that was a costly commercial and critical failure for the studio, Kenny Ortega’s 1992 Newsies acquired a rabid fan following, mostly from cable and video. Even the public lack of love shown toward it by Christian Bale, who starred as rabblerousing Noo Yawk newsboy Jack Kelly, hasn’t soured the affection of the tykes and tweens who fell for the story back then and are now among those pumping stadium-level enthusiasm into the applause breaks of Broadway performances. Aficionados looking for art or subtlety in their musical theater might sniff, but for nonpurists, the show’s exuberant old-fashioned charms will be irresistible.
Adapted by Harvey Fierstein from Bob Tzudiker and Noni White’s screenplay, Newsies is a disarmingly guileless fictionalized spin on the 1899 New York City newsboys strike. Outfitted by costumer Jess Goldstein in jaunty caps, vests and knee breeches, these plucky kids scratch out a meager living selling “papes.” But they balk when Joseph Pulitzer (John Dossett), publisher of The New York World, bumps up their distribution price to increase profits, prompting the city’s other dailies to follow suit.
Led by 17-year-old juvie runaway Jack (Jeremy Jordan), the boys form an impromptu union and call a strike, inciting violent repercussions. But with help from Katherine (Kara Lindsay), a well-connected reporter, they unite the city boroughs and expose the exploitation of the oppressed to public and political scrutiny, giving them the upper hand in negotiations.
If this sounds like a rose-colored Occupy Wall Street fantasy, it more or less is, which is no small irony coming from the biggest corporate presence on Broadway. However, Fierstein’s straightforward book is concerned less with tapping into today’s debate about income inequality and worker injustice than with joining the dots of a classic boy-meets-girl-and-tackles-titan tale. Chief among many improvements on the movie is its strengthening of the love story.
As much as the material, however, it’s the attractive young cast and the high-energy physicality of Jeff Calhoun’s production that make the show so engaging. Jordan (recently of the short-lived Bonnie & Clyde) is a natural musical-theater star who brings effortless charisma to the role and an ideal blend of wise-guy attitude, innate leadership and romantic wistfulness. His yearning solo, “Santa Fe,” is a high point. He’s nicely matched with Lindsay, whose “Watch What Happens” is not a Bravo network promo jingle but a do-gooder empowerment number that places her firmly in the mold of feisty Disney princesses from Ariel onward.
STORY: Disney Shareholders Elect Board Nominees; Bob Iger Talks 'Muppets' Sequel, 'Avatar' Theme Park Land
The boys – most of them orphans wid’ no mudder or fadder, and thus forced to woik – are a boisterous bunch of ragamuffins who play up the accents to cartoonish effect, which will either be adorable or annoying, depending on your mood. Some of the strapping lads look a bit beyond urchin age, but who cares? Making appealing impressions in key roles are Ben Fankhauser as Davey, the organizational brains to Jack’s brawn; Andrew Keenan-Bolger as limping but spirited Crutchie; and Matthew J. Schechter (alternating with Lewis Grosso) as Davey’s kid brother, whose moxie is in inverse proportion to his size. And while Gattelli’s balletic acrobatics show more propulsion than range, the male ensemble attacks every flying pirouette and gravity-defying flip with infectious gusto.
Of the adult roles, Dossett’s Pulitzer is a stock white-collar villain, though he gets the job done, and Capathia Jenkins injects brassy maternal warmth as queen of a Bowery vaudeville house, sashaying through the amusing “That’s Rich.”
Nimbly staged by Calhoun on designer Tobin Ost’s terrifically versatile and constantly reconfigured three-tiered Erector Set structure – with details sketched in via Sven Ortel’s projections – the show never lags. That’s also thanks to the galvanizing songs by Menken and lyricist Jack Feldman.
Of the three numbers added since New Jersey, the most significant upgrade is Katherine and Jack’s duet, “Something to Believe In,” which cements their bond and the shared determination of their endeavor with an enjoyably cheesy pop sound. But it’s the catchy holdover anthems from the movie (and their countless reprises) that drive the musical’s soaring spirit, among them “Carrying the Banner,” “The World Will Know,” “Seize the Day” and “King of New York.”
You can call the show brashly formulaic, sentimental or simplistic, but Newsies adheres to a time-honored Disney tradition of inspirational storytelling in the best possible sense. It woiks.
Venue: Nederlander Theatre, New York (runs through Aug. 19)
Cast: Jeremy Jordan, John Dossett, Kara Lindsay, Capathia Jenkins, Ben Fankhauser, Andrew Keenan-Bolger, Lewis Grosso, Matthew J. Schechter, Aaron J. Albano, Mark Aldrich, Tommy Bracco, John E. Brady, Ryan Breslin, Kevin Carolan, Kyle Coffman, Mike Faist, Julie Foldesi, Garrett Hawe, Thayne Jasperson, Evan Kasprzak, Jess LeProtto, Stuart Marland, Andy Richardson, Ryan Steele, Brendon Stimson, Nick Sullivan, Ephraim Sykes, Laurie Veldheer, Alex Wong
Director: Jeff Calhoun
Music: Alan Menken
Lyrics: Jack Feldman
Book: Harvey Fierstein, based on the Disney film written by Bob Tzudiker and Noni White
Set designer: Tobin Ost
Costume designer: Jess Goldstein
Lighting designer: Jeff Croiter
Sound designer: Ken Travis
Projection designer: Sven Ortel
Orchestrations: Danny Troob
Music supervisor/incidental music/vocal arrangements: Michael Kosarin
Choreographer: Christopher Gattelli
Presented by Disney Theatrical Productions

User's Signature

thanks to giagia

+Quote Post
-kekkomon-
messaggio 20/4/2012, 12:28
Messaggio #20

Utente

Gli Strilloni, il film, verrà trasmesso a maggio su sky cinema!

Messaggio modificato da kekkomon il 20/4/2012, 16:34

+Quote Post
Beast
messaggio 20/4/2012, 13:29
Messaggio #21

Gold Member

CITAZIONE (kekkomon @ 20/4/2012, 13:28) *
Gli Strilloni verrà trasmesso a maggio su sky cinema!

post-6-1111346575.gif post-6-1111346575.gif post-6-1111346575.gif
w00t.gif w00t.gif w00t.gif
Spero di poterlo trovare su internet successivamente!

User's Signature

+Quote Post
Scissorhands
messaggio 20/4/2012, 16:31
Messaggio #22

Gold Member

il film intendi? mi sembra strano lo spettacolo O_O

User's Signature

thanks to giagia

+Quote Post
-kekkomon-
messaggio 20/4/2012, 16:33
Messaggio #23

Utente

CITAZIONE (Scissorhands @ 20/4/2012, 17:31) *
il film intendi? mi sembra strano lo spettacolo O_O

Il film, scusate!

+Quote Post
-kekkomon-
messaggio 29/4/2012, 15:31
Messaggio #24

Utente

Domenica 6/05 alle 10: Gli Strilloni, su sky cinema family!

+Quote Post

2 Pagine V   1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 utenti stanno leggendo questa discussione (1 visitatori e 0 utenti anonimi)
0 utenti:

RSS Versione Lo-Fi Oggi è il: 18/4/2024, 11:13